Enjoy FREE admission & a variety of activities at the Deering Estate's annual Fee-Free "P.L.A.Y." Days
The Deering Estate celebrates Park and Recreation Month at the July 19th Fee-Free "P.L.A.Y." Day.
The Deering Estate at Cutler will offer free admission to all guests on Sunday, July 19th, Saturday, August 15th and Saturday, September 19th from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. as part of their annual Fee-Free “P.L.A.Y.” Days. Guests can enjoy complimentary admission as well as hands on science activities and self-guided historic house tours – all for free! Food and beverages will be available for purchase.
Each July since 1985, America has celebrated Park and Recreation Month, a program of the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA). The goal is to raise awareness of the vital impact that parks, recreation and conservation has on communities across the U.S.
The Deering Estate will celebrate 30 years of Park and Recreation Month at the Fee-Free “P.L.A.Y.” Day on Sunday, July 19th. Staff will throw it back to the 80’s by wearing their favorite 80’s attire and accessories. Guests can join in the celebration and go retro by also wearing 80’s gear! Let’s celebrate the past, present and future of parks and recreation! For more information, visit www.nrpa.org/july or #JulyPRM30.
Activities & Programs on Sunday, July 19th include:
- Ongoing self-guided historic house tours throughout the day;
- Mini-canoe/kayak tours at 10:30 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 1:30 p.m. & 3:00 p.m. (for a $10 fee; cash only & weather permitting);
- Birthday Bash” – Charles Deering was born on July 31, 1852. Sign a birthday card and learn about the different birthday packages, camps, specialty tours and group tours that are offered at the Deering Estate;
- Pilates demo class for adults with Celia Maluf at 10:30 a.m. & 11:30 a.m.;
- GroveHouse Artist exhibit - Displayed throughout the historic homes, the GroveHouse Artist exhibit highlights award-winning pieces from the annual Affair En Plein Air, a two-day outdoor juried painting event;
- Tropical fruit display provided by Fruit & Spice Park;
- Food & beverages will be available for an additional fee.
The Fee-Free “P.L.A.Y.” Days were created to honor the Deering Estate’s partner organizations and the community. Our partner organizations and program partners will be on-site providing information and a variety of activities. The entire public can enjoy a variety of programs and activities – all for free!
Sunday, July 19th - highlighting the Village of Palmetto Bay and its residents
Saturday, August 15th - highlighting Teachers and Environmental Educators
Saturday, September 19th - highlighting Scouts
About the Deering Estate at Cutler
The Deering Estate at Cutler, a Miami-Dade County Park, is located at 16701 SW 72 Avenue in Miami. This 444-acre natural and archeological preserve and historic site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as a center for education, culture and recreation. Historic house tours are offered daily at 10:30 am & 3:00 pm and are free with Estate admission. For more information on the Deering Estate's educational and cultural programs, please visit www.deeringestate.org.
About The National Recreation and Park Association
The National Recreation and Park Association is a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing park, recreation and conservation efforts that enhance quality of life for all people. Through its network of 50,000 recreation and park professionals and citizens, NRPA encourages the promotion of healthy and active lifestyles, conservation initiatives and equitable access to parks and public space. For more information, visit NRPA.org. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation, visit ParksAndRecreation.org.