Enjoy free admission to the Deering Estate
Enjoy free admission and a variety of educational activities at the Deering Estate's Fee-Free "P.L.A.Y." Day on Saturday, September 17th, from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. The Fee-Free "P.L.A.Y." Days were created to honor the Deering Estate’s partner organizations and the community. This month we highlight & recognize Scouts!
Activities & Programs on Saturday, September 17th include:
• Be a scout for a day! Learn knot tying and plant/bird identification skills and then test your newly found skills by participating in a knot tying challenge and scavenger hunts throughout the Deering Estate;
• Mini-canoe tours at 10:30 am, 12:00 pm, 1:30 pm & 3:00 pm (for a $10 fee; cash only & weather permitting);
• Enjoy a historic overview of the homes in the Court Yard at 10:30 am, 12:30 pm, & 3:00 pm. Please note the historical homes will be closed;
• Florida Yards and Neighbors Rain Barrel Work Shop at 1:00 pm in the Pump House Classroom. This workshop is FREE. The cost to purchase a rain barrel is $40. Pre-registration is required to purchase a rain barrel. Limited space is available. Please contact Lize Luna to register at 305-248-3311 ext. 242;
• Pinewood Derby Car Races throughout the day presented by Cub Scout Pack 314. Bring your own car to see if it is faster than the Deering Derby Dozen;
• Rain Gutter Races throughout the day presented by Cub Scout Pack 711 (Please bring your own rain gutter boat if you have one);
• Learn Fly Fishing techniques from Fly Fishing enthusiast Hunter Serrate;
• Tropical fruit display provided by Fruit & Spice Park;
• Special Appearance by the Zoo Squad from 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm. Meet and greet these wonderful characters: Gigi the giraffe and Kaz the rhino;
• Food & beverages will be available for an additional fee.
About the Deering Estate
The 450+ acre Deering Estate is an environmental, archaeological and historical preserve. From canoe tours to butterfly walks and guided Historic House tours, the Deering Estate has diverse activities for the whole family to enjoy. The Estate is part of the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department, which manages the Estate on behalf of the State of Florida.
This year the Deering Estate celebrates 30 years on the National Register of Historic Places and the 100th anniversary of Charles Deering's purchase and restoration of the Richmond Hotel for his winter residence. #DiscoverMore history, art, culture, science, preservation, conservation and ecology at the Deering Estate!