Jupiter Watch at the Deering Estate
Jupiter, the largest planet in the solar system, and the Moon, will make an especially close pairing in April. The Southern Cross Astronomical Society (SCAS) presents "Jupiter Watch" on Thursday, April 6th, 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm, at the Deering Estate. Special telescopes will be available for viewing of the night sky.
The cost is $5 per person, for ages 4 and older, and free for Deering Estate Foundation members. Guests are welcome to bring blankets, lawn chairs, and small picnic baskets. The Deering Estate is located at 16701 SW 72 Avenue in Palmetto Bay.
Fun facts about Jupiter:
- A Jupiter opposition of the Sun occurs every 13 months. The next event will be May 9, 2018.
- More than 1000 Earths would fit inside Jupiter.
- Jupiter rotates every 10 hours.
- On April 7th, Jupiter will be opposite the Sun.
- On April 8th, Jupiter will be closest to Earth by 414 million miles.
- NASA's spacecraft Juno is currently imaging polar regions on Jupiter from the JunoCam. Check out the images.
More information on the Top 7 Must-See Sky Events for 2017.
About the Southern Cross Astronomical Society (SCAS)
About the Deering Estate
The 450+ acre Deering Estate is an environmental, archaeological and historical preserve. From canoe tours to bird walks and guided Historic House & Natural Areas Tours, the Deering Estate has diverse activities for the whole family to enjoy. The Estate is part of the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department, which manages the Estate on behalf of the State of Florida. Discover More art, culture, history, science, preservation, conservation and ecology at the Deering Estate today!