Miami-Dade Animal Services advises pet owners to ensure pets are vaccinated for rabies
As a precaution, Miami-Dade Animal Services (Animal Services) reminds pet owners to ensure their companion animals are up-to-date on their rabies vaccines, in response to a confirmed case of canine rabies in Palm Beach County.
Rabies vaccines are available for $15 from the Miami-Dade Animal Services Pet Adoption and Protection Center wellness clinic located at 3599 NW 79 Avenue, Doral 33122. The clinic is open Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The vaccine is also available at private veterinary offices. All pets adopted from Animal Services receive rabies vaccines included as part of the adoption fees.
Please keep in mind these precautions listed below, courtesy of The Florida Department of Health (DOH):
- Ensure rabies vaccinations are up-to-date for all pets.
- Keep pets under direct supervision at all times to ensure they do not come in contact with any wild animals.
- If your pet is bitten by a wild animal, immediately seek veterinary assistance.
- Contact Miami-Dade County Animal Services at 3-1-1 to report stray dogs in your neighborhood.
- Do not handle, feed, or unintentionally attract wild animals with open garbage cans or litter.
- Avoid contact with stray and feral animals.
- Never adopt wild animals or bring them into your home.
- Teach children never to handle unfamiliar animals, wild or domestic, even if they appear friendly.
- Prevent bats from entering living quarters or occupied spaces in homes, churches, schools, and other similar areas, where they might come in contact with people and pets.
- Persons who have been bitten or scratched by wild or domestic animals should seek medical attention and report the injury to the Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County at 305-324-2400.
For further information on rabies, go to http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/rabies/index.html or call the Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County at 305-324-2400, or Miami-Dade County Animal Services at 3-1-1.