The Voluntary Pre-kindergarten program is designed to prepare Florida's children for kindergarten and develop the skills they need to become good readers and successful students. It includes standards for literacy skills, strict accountability, appropriate curricula, substantial instruction periods, manageable class sizes and qualified instructors. Parents have the option of enrolling children in a school-year program consisting of 540 instructional hours or a summer program consisting of 300 instructional hours.
Children who reside in Florida and are born September 2, 2006 to September 1, 2007 are eligible to attend the 2011-2012 VPK School Year Program or the 2012 Summer VPK Program. VPK is open to all children who reside in the state of Florida and who are four years old. Age eligibility requirements are as follows:
If your child was born September 2, 2006 - September 1, 2007, they are eligible for the 2011-2012 School Year Program.
If your child was born September 2, 2006 - September 1, 2007, and did not participate in the VPK School Year Program, they are eligible for the 2012 Summer VPK Program.
If your child was born September 2, 2007 - September 1, 2008, they will be eligible for the 2012-2013 School Year Program.Back to Top
To qualify for VPK, the child must be 4 years old by September 1, 2012 and a resident of the State of Florida.
Parents and Guardians may enroll their children in the VPK Program by following the steps listed below:
- Fill out the VPK Child Application (Form AWI-VPK 01)
- Bring the completed VPK Child Application, including copies of the following documents that will stay with the application, with you to a VPK registration site
- Proof of Florida Residency must be verified by a current and correct address.
- Bring a copy of one of the following items:
- Valid Florida driver's license
- Current utility bill (must have street address, city and zip code)
- Rental lease agreement
- Proof of Child's Birth date
- Birth certificate
- Valid passport or certificate of child's arrival in the United States
- Valid military dependent ID card
- Immunization record indicating date of birth signed by a public health officer or licensed practicing physician
- Parent/guardian will receive:
- A list of approved private and public VPK providers
- A Certificate of Eligibility to present to the VPK provider of choice
- Parent/Guardian Responsibility information sheet
- Parents/legal guardians must enroll their child at the VPK Program
Expedited VPK Registration is available to all providers with VPK children.
Back to Top
Documentation for Registration
Proof of Florida Residency: A photocopy of a document showing name and current home address.
- Bank statements, insurance policy
- Utility bill, valid Florida Driver's license
- Pay stubs, or government documents.
Child's date of birth: A photocopy of a document showing each child's date of birth.
Birth certificate, passport, a certificate of arrival in the USA showing age
Valid military dependent identification, immunization document
Baptism certificate or other religious record showing child's birth date and if not the biological parent, must show proof of legal guardianship.
Expedited Registration Services For Providers
You can avoid long lines for your parents. Now you can quickly & better plan for your VPK classrooms and other VPK business matters.
- Expedited VPK Registration is available to all providers with VPK children
Locations / Facilities
Miami Gardens Neighborhood Service Center
16405 NW 25 Avenue
Miami Gardens, Florida 33054
Frankie Shannon Rolle Neighborhood Service Center (Coconut Grove)
3750 S. Dixie Hwy
Miami, Florida 33133
Naranja Neighborhood Service Center
13955 SW 264th Street
Miami, Florida 3303
- Mondays - Fridays
8 a.m. - 12 noon
8 a.m. - 1 p.m. (available only on specific dates)
Note: The line will be closed when all of the numbers for the amount of parents we can see during the scheduled hours have been given out. Parents will need to come back to any location of their choice (please see available hours). Service is rendered on a first-come, first-served basis. The parent application process is continuous.Back to Top
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.