Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Portal will be undergoing maintenance starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, May 3 and for all of Sunday, May 4. Intermittent outages may be experienced. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our online services.
Tax Certificate Sale 2010 Results
The 2010 Tax Certificate Sale, which was conducted online for the seventh year in a row, was a continuing success. The County sold over 58,000 tax certificates, collecting an estimated $305 million in delinquent taxes. Conducting the auction online as opposed to a physical auction results in significant improvements and savings that benefit the County and its taxpayers. The results of the 2010 Tax Certificate Sale are as follows:
- The tax sale process was completed in days as compared to a month in 2003.
- In the two years before the online sale, over 8,000 certificates remained unsold, resulting in delayed revenues for taxing authorities and higher interest rates for delinquent taxpayers. Over 98% of available tax certificates were sold last year.
- Interest rates on certificates were more than half of that of a year ago generating saving to delinquent taxpayers.
- The number of buyers participating in the sale continued to grow with certificates awarded to over 24,000 different bidders.
- In years prior to the electronic tax certificate sale, delinquent tax revenues resulting from the sale were not distributed until July. Sale revenues are now distributed a full month earlier.
- The elimination of previous years’ auctioneer fees, room and equipment rental, staff time and overhead resulted in a significant decrease in the cost of running the auction.
The electronic sale has proven a key component in the fulfillment of our mission to promote change and performance excellence.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24:18 AM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.