At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
As a Miami-Dade County department, Miami-Dade Transit encourages public involvement and participation in the development of MDT's transportation programs and services, conducting interactive presentations with communities across the county. MDT's mission is to monitor and help develop a proactive public involvement process that provides complete information, timely public notice, full public access to key decisions, and supports early and continuing involvement of the public in developing transit issues.
A Federal Mandate
A Federal Mandate
The Federal Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century requires transit agencies to involve the public to a much greater extent in the planning and implementation of transportation projects. MDT has adopted an involvement plan in an effort to foster two-way communication and trust between the county government and the citizens of Miami-Dade County.
Goals and Objectives
Goal of Transit Public Involvement
To ensure that public transit programs reflect community values and benefit all segments of the community equally.
Public Involvement Objectives
- Inform the public, to the maximum extent possible with available resources, of opportunities to participate in the transportation decision-making process and of their role in transportation planning and/or implementation.
- Involve the public by providing opportunities early and often in the transportation planning and decision-making processes.
- Reach out to all demographic communities that make up the PTP planning area, so that everyone has the opportunity to participate in the development of transportation and services.
How We Will Accomplish This:
- The Citizens Transportation Advisory Committee acts as a public involvement advisory board by offering the public an opportunity to present issues and concerns at their regularly scheduled meetings, with the active involvement of MDT.
- Organize and manage a speakers bureau.
- Hold public workshops, meetings, forums, town hall meetings, etc.
- Involve the entire community throughout the planning and implementation process of projects and issues.
- The 3-1-1 Call Center provides residents with information regarding services and programs.
- MDT maintains a comprehensive website to provide the public with easily accessible up-to-date information as well as the ability to contact MDT and provide feedback.
- In accordance with Municipal Code Sec. 2-316, the Miami-Dade Commission on Disabilities Issues serves in an advisory capacity to the County Commission and administration regarding the transportation needs of persons with disabilities.
Public Involvement Initiative Plan
The Public Involvement Initiative Plan consists of the following:
Hold public workshops, meetings, forums, town hall meetings, etc.
Enhance public awareness of important meetings and workshops via PSAs, fliers, etc.
Involve low-income and minority communities throughout the planning and implementation process.
Maintaining a Speakers Bureau.
Public Involvement Strategy
Our public involvement strategy uses various techniques to inform and involve the public.
Informing the Public
- Memos announcing meetings and other public involvement events.
- Press releases - notices of public involvement events distributed to local news media.
- Distribution of marketing materials - includes items such as notices.
- Fliers - created for special events such as workshops, etc.
- Publications - brochures to acquaint the public with the initiative.
- TV and radio appearances - to educate the public regarding transportation issues.
- Newspaper articles - submission of articles publicizing transportation planning activities and issues.
- Newsletter articles - submitted for publication in local government newsletters.
- Presentations to civic groups, educational institutions, etc., in conjunction with a plan update or for general information.
Involving the Public
- Responding to inquiries from the public in person, by phone or email, or in writing - part of the staff's responsibilities.
- Web page with email to staff capability.
- TV and/or radio appearances with call-in questions from viewers and listeners - provide more of an opportunity to receive feedback.
- Public meetings and forums - announced by display ad and press release; opportunity for an individual or group to express opinions on specific topics.
- Workshops - a gathering of people to analyze transportation issues and participate in developing solutions; includes community workshops
- Participation in community events already scheduled, such as festivals.
- Transportation fairs or displays at the mall.
- Surveys or public response to comment forms - an opportunity for feedback.
- Transportation summit - a meeting with the community to inform the public and solicit comments.
- Community outreach - taking transportation planning and implementation to the people.
Public Involvement Initiative
Benefits of Public Involvement
Transit Public Involvement staff is dedicated to understanding the needs of the community and how different communities use the transportation systems and supporting public involvement in the transportation planning process by listening to the public. This understanding helps in the development of initiatives and services to better address those needs.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Jan 5, 2016 11:06:47 AM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.