(Miami-Dade County, FL) -- Starting Sunday, January 23, 2011, Metrorail's schedule will have a temporary change to accommodate construction and testing of the AirportLink Metrorail extension. The new Metrorail schedule, which will be in effect until fall of 2011, is available online at www.miamidade.gov/transit. The changes include:
- Metrorail service frequency, as well as arrival times, will change from every 7½ minutes to every 10 minutes, from approximately:
- 6 a.m. - 9 a.m.
- 3:30 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Metrorail arrival times will change, but the frequency will remain the same from approximately:
- 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (service every 15 minutes)
- 6 p.m. - midnight (service every 15 minutes until approximately 7:30 p.m., service every 30 minutes after approximately 7:30 p.m.)
- There will be no impact on Metrorail weekend service, which will remain at every 30 minutes.
The AirportLink project is a 2.4-mile elevated Metrorail extension that will go from the existing Earlington Heights Station to the Miami Intermodal Center (MIC) - a transportation hub being constructed adjacent to the Miami International Airport (MIA).
The AirportLink, scheduled to open for service in spring 2012, is a vital project that will provide a reliable Metrorail connection to the airport for millions of residents, visitors and employees who travel to and from MIA every year. The $506 million project, which is funded mostly by the half-penny surtax from the People's Transportation Plan, also will provide a boost to the local economy by creating jobs, facilitating work-related travel, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
During construction of the AirportLink, Metrorail will be using a portion of the existing 22.6-rail line for single tracking - using one rail track for both north and southbound trains.
Once the extension to MIA opens, Metrorail peak-hour service will be adjusted to the following:
- Service frequency southbound from the Palmetto Station will be every 10 minutes.
- Service frequency southbound from the new Miami International Airport Metrorail station at the MIC will be every 10 minutes.
- Improved combined southbound service from Earlington Heights Station to Dadeland South Station will allow for service frequency of every five minutes.
- Northbound service from the Dadeland South Station to Earlington Heights Station will improve to every five minutes. The Earlington Heights Station will become the transfer point for alternating service to the airport, northbound to the Palmetto Station, or southbound to the Dadeland South Station.
To ensure Metrorail customers arrive to their destinations on time, they are encouraged to plan their trips through MDT's online trip planner, or viewing the new Metrorail guide, both available at www.miamidade.gov/transit. Metrorail users also can call Customer Services at 305-891-3131, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., and on Saturdays, from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. (TTY users can call 305-499-8971).