(MIAMI, April 8, 2014) – From April through July 2014, transit riders and members of the community at large will have an opportunity to purchase fresh fruit, vegetables and prepared foods at farmers markets located at the Civic Center and Government Center Metrorail stations. The farmers markets will be open on Mondays and Thursdays, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
At the Civic Center Metrorail station (1501 NW 12 Avenue), the farmers markets will take place the following Mondays:
- Monday, April 14 Monday, June 2
- Monday, April 21 Monday, June 9
- Monday, April 28 Monday, June 16
- Monday, May 5 Monday, June 23
- Monday, May 12 Monday, June 30
- Monday, May 19
- Monday, May 26
At the Government Center Metrorail station (101 NW First Street), the farmers markets will take place the following Thursdays:
- Thursday, April 10 Thursday, May 29
- Thursday, April 17 Thursday, June 5
- Thursday, April 24 Thursday, June 12
- Thursday, May 1 Thursday, June 19
- Thursday, May 8 Thursday, June 26
- Thursday, May 15 Thursday, July 3
- Thursday, May 22
Miami-Dade Transit is sponsoring the farmers markets. The Market Company, which is coordinating the farmers markets, has voluntarily committed to donating a percentage of their proceeds from the bazaars to the United Way.
“By purchasing fresh produce from these farmers markets, our transit riders have an opportunity to support Miami-Dade County’s small business community,” said MDT Director Ysela Llort.
To learn more about becoming a vendor, please contact The Market Company at 305-531-0038 or at Claire@themarketcompany.org. For more information about the United Way, visit www.unitedwaymiami.org , or call (305) 860-3000.