High-Level Disinfection Project
Miami-Dade County's High-Level Disinfection (HLD) Project, with a total value of approximately $600 million, will produce highly treated wastewater. It will increase the peak flow capacity of the South District Wastewater Treatment Plant by 27%, from 225 million gallons daily (mgd) to 285 mgd. This improvement will allow more wastewater to be pumped to the plant during rain events, reducing the potential of sewer overflows.
The HLD Project provides for all of the treated wastewater from the existing secondary treatment plant to be filtered and disinfected to ensure Miami-Dade County complies with all Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) requirements.
The project is being built to meet specific FDEP and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requirements for the high-level disinfection of wastewater prior to its disposal into deep injection wells.
The HLD Project provides additional benefits, going beyond the state and federal requirements to meet high-level disinfection criteria:
- Miami-Dade County is constructing an on-site liquid chlorine production facility that will produce liquid chlorine from salt and electricity. The plant will produce all of the chlorine needed for both the existing secondary treatment process as well as the HLD process so no gas chlorine will be stored at the site once the HLD Project is completed.
- The peak flow capacity of the South District Wastewater Treatment Plant is being increased by 27%, from 225 million gallons daily (mgd) to 285 mgd. This improvement will allow more wastewater to be pumped to the plant during rain events, reducing the potential of sewer overflows.
- The project has had a positive impact on the area's economy, providing daily jobs to more than 400 workers.
The HLD Project consists of 14 construction contracts , 13 of which are either complete or under construction. Some facts about the project:
- The design of the HLD Project is 100% complete.
- Nearly four years into the six-and-a-half-year project, the construction of the HLD Project is approximately 80% complete. The last contract is planned for bid and award by early 2012.
- Project completion is scheduled for the first quarter of 2014.
- The longest construction contracts are the Filter and Clarifier Contracts, and both are currently ahead of schedule.
- View photos of the project under construction.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.