As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
High-Level Disinfection Project
Miami-Dade County's High-Level Disinfection (HLD) Project is complete, with a total capital cost of approximately $500 million. It has increased the peak flow capacity of the South District Wastewater Treatment Plant by 27%, from 225 million gallons daily (mgd) to 285 mgd. This improvement will allow more wastewater to be pumped to the plant during rain events, reducing the potential of sewer overflows.
The HLD Project provides for all of the treated wastewater from the existing secondary treatment plant to be filtered and disinfected prior to its disposal into deep injection wells, in compliance with a Consent Order (CO) with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP). On July 29, 2013 Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department received correspondence from FDEP stating that all requirements of the CO had been satisfied.
The HLD Project provided additional benefits, going beyond the requirements to meet high-level disinfection criteria:
- Miami-Dade County constructed an on-site hypochlorite generation facility (OSHG) that produces liquid chlorine from salt and electricity. The plant will produce all of the chlorine needed for both the existing secondary treatment process as well as the HLD process so gas chlorine is no longer stored at the site
- The peak flow capacity of the South District Wastewater Treatment Plant was increased by 27%, from 225 million gallons daily (mgd) to 285 mgd. This improvement will allow more wastewater to be pumped to the plant during rain events, reducing the potential of sewer overflows.
- The project had a positive impact on the area's economy, providing daily jobs to more than 400 workers. Many of the contracts were bid or under construction during the recession from 2008 to 2009, providing needed jobs, and lower than expected bid prices. The total capital cost was approximately $100 million lower than budgeted.
- The project was completed one-year ahead of the stipulated Consent Order deadline.
- View photos of the project under construction.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.