As a separate functioning entity, the Clerk provides impartiality in the activities of county government and ensures that the public receives full and accurate information and fair and equitable treatment.
The Director of the COB Division manages the day-to-day operations of this branch of Miami-Dade County's Clerk of Courts.
The Clerk or his designee performs the following functions during Board meetings:
- Calls the roll and announces when a quorum is present or in the event a quorum is not present, calls for the election of a temporary presiding officer or adjourns the meeting in the absence of the Chairperson and Vice Chairperson;
- Tallies and announces the results of roll call votes;
- Administers the Oath of Office for newly elected officials upon request; and
- Swears-in all persons wishing to testify before the Board during Zoning hearings and Quasi-Judicial matters
Meet Clerk Harvey Ruvin
- Attends, records and produces written minutes for all Board meetings, including its committees, subcommittees, commissions, councils, trusts, task forces, and other public collegial bodies created by the Board and granted decision-making authority;
- Disseminates all instructions (“Directives”) given by the Board and its members to the Mayor and County Administrators;
- Receives all Mayoral vetoes for consideration by the Board and processes the results;
- Prepares and advertises legal notices of Board meetings; sunshine meetings; public hearings and/or second reading of proposed ordinances and resolutions, bid notices, request for proposals, pre-bid conferences; Zoning issues relating to the master plan; auctions and real estate sales;
- Maintains a registry of each ordinance and resolution adopted by the Board and coordinates the codification of legislation into the Code of Miami-Dade County, Florida;
- Executes all documents and instruments approved by the Board, giving County administrators the authority to proceed with the operational and contractual commitments of the County;
- Prepares the Board's annual meeting calendar in collaboration with its Chairperson, County Attorney, Zoning Department and the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and disseminates once approved and/or as changes occur;
- Registers all lobbyists seeking to conduct business with Miami-Dade County;
- Coordinates the process of nominating and appointing individuals to the various County advisory boards and maintains a record of those individuals;
- Coordinates receipt of bids and requests for proposals, qualifications, quotes, etc. for goods and services and coordinates and attends the public bid openings;
- Receives protests on bids for goods and/or services recommendations and coordinates the bid hearing process;
- Receives and processes initiatives, referendums, and recall petitions;
- Receives claims filed against the County for personal injury or property damage;
- Issues Home Solicitor Licenses and processes Palmistry Permit Applications;
- Ensures the public has access to information regarding actions taken by the Board; and
- Maintains custody of the Board’s seal.