More About Fire Rescue
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue provides fire rescue service for the entire County except for the cities of Hialeah, Miami, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne and Coral Gables.
- Arthur Holmes, Jr.
Assistant Chief of Operations
- Alan R. Cominsky
Assistant Chief for Technical Support Services - Fire Marshal
- Scott Mendelsberg
Assistant Director of Finance and Administration
- Frank K. Rollason
Assistant Director of Emergency Management
- MDFR received The Excellence in Fire-Service-Based EMS Award in recognition of best practices in EMS by fire departments in the United States.
- MDFR's ALS Competition Team took first place during the 2013 Bill Shearer International Competition.
- MDFR opens two new stations. A State-of-the-art Haulover Lifeguard Station and Doral Station 69.
- MDFR celebrated the opening of the new Model Cities Station 2.
- MDFR opened the new state-of-the-art Regional Fire Rescue Communications Center in Doral.
- The Miami-Dade Office of Emergency Management (OEM) has been granted full accreditation from the Emergency Management Accreditation Program (EMAP).
- Miami-Dade Fire Rescue's (MDFR) Advanced Life Support (ALS) Competition Teams won both first and second places at the Boca Raton Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Challenge.
- MDFR's Venom Response Team featured in Discovery Channel's SWAP WARS television series.
- MDFR opened two new fire stations. Homestead's Station #16 and the first "Green" Fire station, West Miami Station #40.
- Lieutenant Douglas Keller of Miami-Dade Fire Rescue (MDFR) was named the 2012 Investigator of the Year by The Florida Fire Marshals and Inspectors Association (FFMIA).
- We have the busiest ladder truck in North America
- Miami-Dade Fire Rescue's ALS Team Extends Winning Streak
- MDFR's ALS Team wins at the University of Miami
- FL-TF1 and FL-TF2 Named Search and Rescue Responders of 2010
- MDFR awarded international accredited status
- Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Medical Director selected as one of "America's Top Cardiologists"
- Medal Day Ceremony Honors MDFR's Bravest
- Time Magazine Honors Chief Karls Paul-Noel
- MDFR to crown the fastest crew in the County
- MDFR's ALS team extends winning streak in 2010
- MDFR personnel receive prestigious awards
- MDFR takes top honors at Canadian World Police and Fire Games
- How does MDFR rank nationally?
- MDFR firefighter honored for acts of bravery in Iraq
- MDFR wins 2009 World Emergency Response Championship
- MDFR named 2009 EMS provider of the year
- Miami-Dade Commissioners salute MDFR
- MDFR wins University of Miami competition
- MDFR recognized for hurricane relief efforts in Haiti
- MDFR's STEMI Program receives prestigious national award
- MDFR's best and brightest honored by Commissioner Sally Heyman
- MDFR takes first place in world games event
- MDFR firefighter awarded Medal of Valor
- Miami-Dade Fire Rescue medical director selected as one of "America's top cardiologists"
- KFHA honors Miami-Dade Fire Rescue firefighters
- MDFR firefighters set department record in competition
Full legal name (as cited in creation document):
Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue Service District
Fire Suppression and Rescue
The service provided by the District shall include a uniform level of fire and rescue service throughout the District and to those governmental entities which may from time to time contract with the District.
County Ordinance 80-86
Replaced by Ordinance 03-69
Miami-Dade County Code of Ordinances Article II Sec. 18-24--18-34
Statute or statutes under which the special district operates:
Chapter 189, Florida Statutes - Uniform Special District Accountability Act
Notwithstanding any other provision of Chapter 18, the District shall be governed solely by Article II and Chapter 2, Article XXI of the Code of Miami-Dade County, Florida.
July 1, 1980
Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners
Revenue and Financial Information
Taxes, fees, assessments, or charges imposed and collected:
Ad Valorem Taxes
Rates or amounts for the current fiscal year:
The millage rate for FY 2018-19 is 2.4207
Statutory authority for the levy of the tax, fee, assessment, or charge:
Section 189.02, Florida Statutes
Fiscal year period:
October 1 - September 30
(post at least two days before the budget hearing, held pursuant to Section 200.065, Florida Statutes, Method of fixing millage or other law, to consider such budget)
Proposed FY 2019-20 Budget
Final adopted budget
(post within 30 days after adoption)
Adopted FY 2018-19 Budget
Budget amendments, if applicable
Annual Financial Report
Filed with the Florida Department of Financial Services
The final complete audit report for the most recent completed fiscal year:
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) FY 2017-2018(NOTE: Financial information of the MDFRSD has been blended with the Miami-Dade County primary government, and is included in the Fire Rescue Special Revenue Fund in the Supplemental Information schedules.)