Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Mayor's Initiative on Aging Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find senior housing or assisted living?

The department of Public Housing and Community Development (PHCD) provides assisted living designed to meet the physical and emotional needs of elderly public housing. Visit the PHCD website for more information about the County's Assisted Living Facility.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development gives funds directly to apartment owners, who lower the rents they charge low-income tenants. You can find low-rent apartments for senior citizens and people with disabilities, as well as for families and individuals. Search for affordable housing in Florida.

Do I qualify for Medicaid?

Medicaid eligibility in Florida is determined either by the Department of Children and Families (DCF) or the Social Security Administration (for Supplemental Security Income recipients).

Florida residents who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are automatically eligible for Medicaid coverage from the Social Security Administration. There is no need to file a separate ACCESS Florida application unless nursing home services are needed.

DCF determines Medicaid eligibility for:

  • Low income families with children
  • Children only
  • Pregnant women
  • Non-citizens with medical emergencies
  • Aged and/or disabled individuals not currently receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

How do I apply for Medicare?

You can conveniently and quickly apply for Medicare online by visiting the U.S. Social Security Administration website.

I'm struggling to pay my property taxes, what can I do?

Seniors with limited income can apply for the Senior Exemption. The Senior Exemption, also known as Second Homestead Exemption, is an additional exemption available for persons 65 and older, with certain income limitations. For more information about the Senior Exemption and to apply, visit the Property Appraiser's website.

Where can I find information about Social Security?

Social Security is a United States government funding program providing income to seniors (over the age of 65), low-income, blind or disabled persons. The program was established in 1935 to offer a degree of economic security to the public. A retirement application can be completed online. In addition, you can now view your Social Security statement online at any time by creating a my Social Security account.

Survivor benefits are available for your family’s protection. The widow/widower can receive full retirement benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60. Please visit the Survivors Planner for additional information.

Is there a program for prescription assistance? How do I qualify?

Medicare recipients are eligible to receive prescription drug coverage through the Extra Help program. Residents with limited resources may be qualified for the costs -- monthly premiums, annual deductibles, and prescription co-payments -- related to a Medicare prescription drug plan. To qualify for Extra Help:

  • You have Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and/or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance); and
  • You live in one of the 50 States or the District of Columbia; and
  • Your combined savings, investments, and real estate are not worth more than $26,120, if you are married and living with your spouse, or $13,070 if you are not currently married or not living with your spouse. (Do NOT count your home, vehicles, personal possessions, life insurance, burial plots, irrevocable burial contracts or back payments from Social Security or SSI.) If you have more than those amounts, you may not qualify for the extra help. However, you can still enroll in an approved Medicare prescription drug plan for coverage.

Learn more about the Extra Help program.

AARP offers an online search feature to find a Medicare Prescription drug plan in your area. The enrollment period ends Dec. 7, so sign-up for your 2013 plan today.

Are there transportation services for the elderly?

Miami-Dade Transit (MDT) offers community transportation. To schedule a ride contact 305-630-5300. A Golden Passport is also available to senior citizens 65 years and over. When applying, you must complete the application and provide a current valid Florida ID or driver's license. The Golden Passport if valid for three years. In addition, Transit provides Special Transportation Service (STS) to persons deemed "ADA Paratransit Eligible." Visit the MDT website for more information about STS services.

The Safe and Mobile Seniors website is "your guide to transportation safety resources in Florida." This site is designed to be a virtual "one stop shop" for transportation safety and mobility information to benefit Florida's aging road users. In Florida, we define an aging road user to include: drivers, passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, transit-riders, motorcyclists, and operators of non-motorized vehicles that are 50 years of age and older, with a special emphasis on the 65 year and older age group. Search for transportation by County or City.

When travelling outside the United States, be sure your Passport is up to date. Visit the Travel.State.Gov website for more information.

Is there a program offering visiting nurses/home care?

The CAHS offers programs to assist elderly residents in the comfort of their own home.

  • Care Planning
    This program assists isolated elderly persons 60 years of age and older, when requests for help are directly received from persons in need, their families, neighbors, or other agencies.
  • Home Care
    The Home Care Program provides homemaking, personal care, chore and respite services to elderly and young disabled people who need help with their activities of daily living.

In addition, Medicare offers home health services such as skilled nursing care, physical therapy, speech-language pathology services, continued occupational services, and more. Eligibility requirements include:

  • The home health agency caring for you must be Medicare-certified.
  • Your doctor must certify that you're homebound.
  • You must be under the care of a doctor, and be getting services under a plan of care established and reviewed regularly by a doctor.
  • You must need, and a doctor must certify that you need, one or more of the following:
    • Intermittent skilled nursing care (other than just drawing blood)
    • Physical therapy, speech-language pathology, or continued occupational therapy services

You're not eligible for the home health benefit if you need more than part-time or "intermittent" skilled nursing care. Please visit the Medicare Home Health Services website to learn more about the requirements.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:39:21 AM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.