As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Welcome to the Opioid Addiction Task Force
Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez in partnership with the State Attorney Katherine Fernandez-Rundle, the Department of Children and Families, the Florida Department of Health and Miami-Dade County's Board of County Commissioners Chairman Bovo, founded the Opioid Addiction Task Force--charged with developing an effective action plan that addresses the reduction of opioid and heroin addiction, prevents overdose deaths and improves the quality of life in our community.
This Task Force seeks to combat the epidemic utilizing every tool and resource at its disposal. We will engage the community to identify best practices in deterring new users, and addressing holistic and comprehensive care to those struggling with opioid abuse. The Task Force will also look at healthcare solutions, the role of the justice system in opioid prevention, and will raise awareness and knowledge of misuse.
Addiction is a dangerous, non-discriminating disease. Miami-Dade County needs a complete and collaborative approach to move past overdose deaths and combat this epidemic.
Opioid Addiction Task Force - January 30, 2017 Meeting
The Opioid Addictions Task Force held its first meeting on Monday, January 30, 2017 at the Stephen P. Clark Center, Commissioner's Chambers.
Opioid Task Force Members
- Howard Rosen, State Attorney's Office
- Dr. Patricia Ares-Romero, Jackson Health System
- Carlos Martinez, Public Defenders
- Chief Delma K. Noel-Pratt, Miami-Dade Police
- Major William Washa, Miami-Dade County Association of Chiefs of Police
- Commander Nicole Davis, City of Miami Police
- Lucia Davis-Raiford, Miami-Dade County Community Action and Human Services
- Yamile Diaz Conte, Department of Children and Families Behavioral Health Division
- Betty Hernandez, Outpatient Mental Health Services
- Annie Neasman, Federal Qualified Health Centers
- Lillian Rivera, County Health Department
- Sally Heyman, Miami-Dade County Commissioner
- Chief Rowan Taylor, Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue
- Maurice Kemp, Miami-Dade County Deputy Mayor
- Judge Jeri B. Cohen, Judicial System
- Dr. Jose Szapocznik, University of Miami
- Tomas Guilarte, Florida International University
- Keon Hardemon, City of Miami Commissioner
- Ronald L. Book, Homeless Trust
- Emilio Vento, Additions Services Board
- John Schmidt, Community Member
- Dr. Emma Lew, Miami-Dade Medical Examiner Director
- Representative Bryan Avila, State Legislator
- Hugo Barrera, HIDTA (Federal)
- Dr. F. Javier Ruiz, Dade County Americal Medical Association
Addiction Services Board
The Addiction Services Board was established by ordinance in 1990 to improve coordination of substance abuse prevention and treatment services, through partnership with the Miami Coalition For a Safe and Drug-Free Community and other public and private agencies.
Opioid Task Force Presentations
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.