Miami-Dade Public Defender Carlos J. Martinez is hiring a Mitigation Specialist.
The Public Defender is an elected official who has a constitutional duty to provide legal representation to persons in jeopardy of losing their liberty who cannot afford to hire a private attorney.
Position Type: Full time
The mitigation specialist assists our attorneys in juvenile (delinquency) and criminal cases. The work may include conducting biopsychosocial interviews with juveniles and adults, identifying issues related to intellect, mental health, substance abuse, and trauma, referring clients to experts, obtaining records, drafting persuasive alternative sentencing and treatment plans and identifying appropriate educational, substance abuse and mental health placements. Applicants must be willing to work with clients in jails and in juvenile detention facilities.
- Master’s degree in mental health, social service or counseling discipline preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in mental health or counseling discipline plus experience in social work, mental health or social service fieldwork preferred
- Experience with Capital case mitigation a plus
- Excellent verbal, computer and communication skills required
- Familiarity with school system, special needs population, and with accessing community programs and social service-related providers preferred
- Bilingual skills: English/Spanish and/or English/Creole preferred
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely
- Must be able to prepare clear, accurate and comprehensive reports containing findings, conclusions or recommendations
- Clean driving record, valid Florida Driver’s License and proof of automobile insurance
- Reliable vehicle, as travel is required
How You Will be Evaluated
Your submitted application package will be reviewed to determine compliance with application requirements, level of position-relevant work experience, education and training.
After your application package has been reviewed, you may be required to participate in a selection interview. Non-local candidates may be interviewed initially via Skype or other electronic means.
- Salary is $40,000 - $44,000, depending on qualifications, educational background and experience
- State Group Insurance coverage options, including health, life, dental, vision and other supplemental insurance options
- Retirement plan options, including employer contributions
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
- Free tuition for college course on a space available basis
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority. Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
Veterans are encouraged to apply.