Twelve Outstanding Women Honored at the 26th in the Company of Women Awards Ceremony, Presented By Macy's
(MIAMI, March 6, 2014) — Twelve women leaders were honored for their achievements in their respective fields, during the 26th Annual In the Company of Women Awards Ceremony, presented by Macy’s. The evening began with a networking reception with drinks and hors d’oeuvres, followed by an awards ceremony emceed by WPLG Channel 10 Meteorologist Betty Davis, at the Coral Gables Country Club. Videos showcasing each winner’s career, inspiration and connection to parks and open spaces were played right before each lady was presented her award.
In the Company of Women, hosted by the Miami-Dade County Commission for Women, the Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade, and the Miami-Dade Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department, takes place each year in March during Women’s History Month and provides support to parks and parks programming throughout Miami-Dade, including the Women’s Park and the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring (GEM) Program. It is made possible with the support of generous sponsors including: Macy’s, AARP, Miami Marlins, Parsons Brinkerhoff, Inc., Totalbank, University of Miami, AT&T, Trish and Dan Bell, Co-Chairs of the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science, Enterprise Holdings, Miami Downtown Development Authority, Miami-Dade Aviation Department, Miami-Dade County Commission Chairwoman Rebeca Sosa, Miami-Dade Commissioner, District 2 Barbara J. Jordan, Miami-Dade Commissioner, District 4 Sally A. Heyman, Miami-Dade County Commission Vice Chairwoman Lynda Bell, United Way of Miami-Dade, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County, League of Women Voters of Miami-Dade County, and CH Creations.
Nomination applications for the 2015 In the Company of Women Award Ceremony will be available in October 2014 at www.miamidade.gov/parks.
- Mayor’s Pioneer Award — Linda Robinson, Former Vice Mayor, City of Palmetto Bay
- Arts & Entertainment – Valerie Riles, Vice-President of Board and Government Relations, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County
- Business & Economics — Wendy Kallergis, President/CEO, the Greater Miami and the Beaches Hotel Association
- Communications & Literature — Jacqueline Menendez, Vice-President of University Communications, University of Miami
- Education & Research — Judy Brown, Ph.D, Senior Vice-President of Education, Miami Science Museum.
- Government & Law (Elected) — Honorable Migna Sanchez-Llorens, Circuit Court Judge.
- Government & Law (Non-Elected) — Alyce Robertson, Executive Director, Miami Downtown Development Authority
- Health & Human Services — Nilda Peragallo Montano, DrPH, RN, FAAN, Dean, University of Miami School of Nursing and Health Services.
- Science & Technology — Marie-Elsie Dowell, PE, PTOE, Vice-President of Traffic Engineering & Operations, Parsons Brinckerhoff Inc.
- Sports & Athletics — Angela Smith, Director of Community Outreach, Miami Marlins.
- Posthumous Award – Thelma Hardison, Constable, Third District of Florida
- Community Spirit — Marcia Fernández-Morin, Miami-Dade Aviation Department
About the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department:
Nationally accredited, a three-time winner of the NRPA National Gold Medal Award and winner of the 2009 Florida Governor’s Sterling Award for excellence in management and operations, Miami-Dade County Parks is the third largest county park system in the United States, consisting of 260 parks and 12,825 acres of land. It is one of the most unique park and recreation systems in the world. Made up of more than just playgrounds and athletic fields, it also comprises out-of-school, sports-development, and summer-camp programs; programs for seniors and people with disabilities; educational nature centers and nature preserves; environmental restoration efforts; arts and culture programs and events; the renowned Zoo Miami and the Deering Estate at Cutler; the Crandon Tennis Center, home of the Sony Open; golf courses; beaches; marinas; campgrounds; pools; and more. For information about Miami-Dade County Parks call 3-1-1, or visit www.miamidade.gov/parks/.
About The Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade
The Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization supporting the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department’s efforts to further develop Miami-Dade County’s world-class parks system for residents and visitors. Its mission is to create a healthier, more livable and sustainable Miami community by ensuring the implementation of the Parks Open Space Master Plan and the development of year-round park and recreation programs for local children, adults and people with disabilities. For more information on the Parks Foundation, please visit www.liveaparklife.com.
About The Miami-Dade County Commission for Women
The Commission for Women falls within the purview of Miami-Dade’s Office of Community Advocacy, a division of the Chair’s Office. The Miami-Dade County Commission for Women was created in 1971 as an advisory board to the Board of County Commissioners, the County administration and the public at large about issues pertaining to the status of women. The Commission for Women also advocates for women in the community and strives to improve their quality of life. For more information call (305) 375-4967, email email@example.com; or visit the website at www.miamidade.gov/advocacy/women-board-home.asp.
Macy's, the largest retail brand of Macy's, Inc., delivers fashion and affordable luxury to customers at more than 800 locations in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Guam. Macy's stores and macys.com offer distinctive assortments including the most desired family of exclusive and fashion brands for him, her and home. Macy's is known for such epic events as Macy's 4th of July Fireworks® and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade®, as well as spectacular fashion shows, culinary events, flower shows and celebrity appearances. Building on a 150-year tradition, Macy's helps strengthen communities by supporting local and national charities that make a difference in the lives of their customers.