The vision of a multi-agency public safety training center that could meet the needs of local, state, and federal public safety employees became a reality on May 18, 2009, when the Miami-Dade Police Department’s Training Bureau was officially transformed into the Miami-Dade Public Safety Training Institute (MDPSTI).
Based on unified shared-training initiatives with Institute partners, the Institute now houses staff from all thee partner agencies:
- the Miami-Dade Police Department (MDPD),
- the Miami-Dade Corrections and Rehabilitation Department (MDCR), and
- the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
Formerly known as the Metropolitan Police Institute (MPI), the MDPSTI serves as a Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission regional training center. With the addition of the correctional training certificate to its training school certification from FDLE Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, the MDPSTI is now the certifying agency for both MDPD and MDCR academies and in-service training programs.
The Institute provides all levels of departmental training, including:
- the police,
- corrections and public service aide academies,
- in-service training,
- civilian training,
- specialized and technical training,
- management, and
- executive level training.
Training is provided for local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies, as well as members of other law enforcement and criminal justice agencies from around the world.
The Institute, the centralized training center for both MDPD and MDCR, is located on a 35-acre campus in Doral, Florida. It is home to three state-of-the-art firearm ranges:
- a tactical shoot-house,
- a challenging physical agilities course,
- a computer lab,
- fully equipped classrooms,
- gymnasium and regulation basketball court,
- aquatic training center, fitness center,
- outdoor training spaces, conference room, and
- training library.
Planned facility expansion projects include:
- the construction of a new academy administration and training building, and
- a basic police vehicle driving range.