Skip Navigation
Connect With Us
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Last Visited »

Important Global Message

The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency

About Us

Every year, Miami-Dade County Animal Services Department (Animal Services) provides refuge for approximately 30,000 unwanted dogs and cats. Every day, Animal Services staff and volunteers work diligently to find life-long locations throughout the community and working collaboratively with over 100 rescue organizations who share in our goal of a no kill Miami-Dade County.

Animal Services provides care and shelter for lost pets until they are claimed by their owners and provides ''Lost and Found'' assistance.

Animal Services also protects community pets by enforcing laws pertaining to animal cruelty and neglect. Enforcement services include investigations of animal cruelty, the pick-up of strays, lost, injured, sick, mistreated, or animals posing a threat to public safety, response to animal bite incidents, administration of the rabies vaccination and dog licensing programs.

Approximately 30 percent of Miami-Dade County Animal Services Department's budget comes from the County's General Operating Fund, while the remaining 70 percent is derived from funds generated from departmental services such as; dog license tag sales, fees, enforcement fines, private grants and donations.

Pet Adoption and Protection Center

The state-of-the art facility, Pet Adoption and Protection Center, opened its doors on June 13, 2016. It is located at 3599 NW 79 Ave. in Doral.

Mission

Our mission is to save the lives of abandoned animals in our care, reunite lost pets with their owners, protect the people and pets in our community from health related issues and ensure the public's safety.

Goal

Our goal is to make Miami-Dade County a no kill community through the implementation of life-saving programs and services that include: comprehensive adoption programs, mobile pet adoption events, foster, transport and volunteer programs, rescue partnerships, pet retention programs, grant programs, educational programs, free and low-cost sterilization and vaccination services, and a trap, neuter and return program for community cats.

Facts

Animal Services:

  • Has adopted no kill policies as its guiding principle for pet rescue, steadfastly implementing programs enabling Animal Services to save the highest number of pets in the history of the department.
    • The save rate for dogs increased from 61% in 2015 to 90% in 2015.
    • The save rate for cats increased from 18% in 2010 to 90% in 2015.
  • Hosts and participates in adoption events in communities throughout Miami-Dade County making it easier for people to adopt and offer forever homes to adorable cats, kittens, dogs and puppies.
  • Has earned grants and recognition from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA®) and works collaboratively with the Humane Society of Greater Miami and The Cat Network as part of the ASPCA® Community Partnerships to implement life-saving programs and initiatives.
Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:21:46 AM
animals
 
 
Corner
Corner

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.