At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Options for a dog license tag renewal:
- Visit a local veterinarian
- Renew by mail
- Visit our Pet Adoption and Protection Center
Renew by Mail
To purchase your pet's license tag via mail:
- Send a check, made payable to Animal Services. No cash accepted via mail.
Pet owner's address and phone number must be listed on check.
Company checks are not accepted.
- Include a copy of rabies certificate completely filled out.*
- Proof of public assistance must be included to qualify for a reduced fee.
- Mail your pet's current rabies certificate and payment to:
MIAMI-DADE ANIMAL SERVICES
ATTN TAG UNIT
3599 NW 79TH AVENUE
DORAL FL 33166
*Note: To ensure a quick turnaround and prevent unnecessary delay of your request, please make sure that rabies certificate contains the following information:
Correct spelling of pet name
Spayed or Neutered
Current Address and Phone Number
Correct spelling of pet owner name
Rabies vaccination expiration date
Renew in Person
- Pay by Check or Money Order.
- Check must be made payable to Animal Services.
- Check must be accompanied with copy of rabies certificate completely filled out.
- Pet owner's address and phone number must be listed on check.
- Company checks not accepted.
- Proof of public assistance must be included to qualify for reduce fee.
- Valid Picture Identification (ID) Required.
Licensing Your Dog
Licensing your dog lets people know your pet has a home and a human family which can help ensure a quicker return should they become lost.
In Miami-Dade County license tags are required for all dogs over 4 months of age. License tags are issued by Miami-Dade County Animal Services and must be renewed annually.
In order to obtain a license tag, the dog owner must provide proof that the dog has been vaccinated against rabies, which helps protect our community against rabies outbreaks.
The dog license tag must be renewed every year by the anniversary of the month and date of the dog's most recent rabies vaccine, whether your dog receives the 1 year rabies vaccination or the 3-year rabies vaccination.
If you are a person with disabilities and require an alternate form of a courtesy renewal reminder please email email@example.com and specify your name, address and dog's current tag number.
License Tag Expiration Date
To determine the expiration date of your license/vaccine or if the account accurately reflects your contact information, please have your tag number ready (i.e. L99-999999) when using the "Dog License Look-Up" service. If your contact information (name/address) has changed or your pet has passed away, lost or given away, please update your account by calling 311 to prevent erroneous citation from being issued.
Chapter 5-7(e) of the Miami-Dade County Code states, "It shall be a violation of this section to fail to timely register a dog, to fail to timely obtain or renew a license tag, or to fail to have the dog wear the license tag." Additionally, it also requires that each license tag be renewed annually by the anniversary of the dog's most recent rabies vaccination, even if the rabies vaccination is effective for more than one year. However, if the dog is not timely revaccinated or licensed, the responsible party is subject to civil penalties. Please note that the due date for the renewal of the license tag shall be the anniversary of the untimely revaccination.
Failure to comply: $150.00 fine for unsterilized dogs (plus a $5 ASD surcharge fee and a $10.00 Clerk of Court fee), $50.00 fine for sterilized dogs (plus a $5 ASD surcharge fee and a $10.00 Clerk of Court fee). For more information, see License Law.
Rabies vaccinations and licenses may be obtained from a Veterinarian or at Miami-Dade Animal Services.
- Dogs - Not Sterilized
- Dogs - Sterilized
- Duplicate Tag
Owner on Public Assistance*
- Dogs - Not Sterilized
- Dogs - Sterilized
*Note: To qualify for the reduced fee, the pet owner must be at least 18 years old and receiving public assistance under one or more of the following:
- Food Stamps: Must provide current eligibility letter.
- Medicaid: Must provide current eligibility letter.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI): Must provide current eligibility letter.
- Jackson Memorial Hospital Clinic Cards: Must provide current eligibility letter.
- Temporary Assistance for Needed Families (TANF): Must provide current eligibility letter.
Rabies vaccinations and licenses may be obtained from a veterinarian or at Miami-Dade Animal Services.
Back to Top Page Last Edited: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:35:26 AM
Miami-Dade Animal Services
3599 NW 79 Avenue
Doral, FL 33166
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.