As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Foster Parent Program
Sometimes an animal comes into this shelter who is not yet ready to be adopted, but can benefit from spending time in a private home.
In order to save the lives of these animals, the shelter keeps a list of qualified, competent individuals who fill the gap between ''intake'' and ''adoption ready.'' These wonderful volunteers save lives by caring for the animals in their own home, giving food, medicine, love, and socializing the animal until ready for adoption.
Becoming a foster parent means opening your home and your heart for just a short time. Fostering can be for as short as one week, to several weeks, depending on the animal.
For more information on fostering, please email the foster coordinator at email@example.com or call 305-418-7185.
Requirements for Fostering
- Must attend a Foster Orientation.
- Orientations are held every Saturday at 11:30 a.m., and every second and fourth Thursday of the month at 5 p.m.
- Orientation typically lasts an hour. New foster parents will begin to receive daily emails the following day of pets for foster care. Pickup of the pet will be scheduled with the Foster Coordinator.
- Complete the foster application.
- Must be able to bring the animal back to Animal Services every two weeks for vaccine boosters and de-worming, if necessary.
- Must be able to transport animals to outside adoption events as needed.
- Must be able to return the animal for out-of-state transports when required.
- Foster parent’s owned pets residing in the home must be up to date on vaccines and sterilized.
Pets of the Week
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.