Foster Parent Program
Sometimes an animal comes into this shelter who is not yet ready to be adopted, but can benefit from spending time in a private home.
In order to save the lives of these animals, the shelter keeps a list of qualified, competent individuals who fill the gap between “intake” and “adoption ready.” These wonderful volunteers save lives by caring for the animals in their own home, giving food, medicine, love, and socializing the animal until ready for adoption.
Becoming a foster parent means opening your home and your heart for just a short time. Fostering can be for as short as one week, to several weeks, depending on the animal.
For more information on fostering, please email Jeanne Dykstra at email@example.com or call 305-418-7149.
Requirements for Fostering
- Must attend a Foster Orientation (held every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. and every Saturday at 11:30 a.m.) Orientation typically lasts half an hour, plus a tour of the facility. If we match you to a foster pet on that day, your stay will be a little longer.
- Must be able to bring the animal back to animal services every two weeks for vaccine boosters and de-worming if necessary.
- Must be able to transport animals to outside adoption events as needed.
- Must be able to return the animal for out-of-state transports when required.
- Pets residing in the home must be current on vaccines, and all dogs in the home must be over 1 year of age.
For more information on fostering, please email Jeanne Dykstra at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-418-7149.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:45:32 PM
Pets of the Week
Spidey Cat 1608076
Spidey Cat 1608076
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.