Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Portal will be undergoing maintenance starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, May 3 and for all of Sunday, May 4. Intermittent outages may be experienced. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our online services.
Baby Diaper Changing Accommodations
The Baby Diaper-Changing Accommodations Ordinance (Section 8A-114 of the Miami-Dade County Code) requires certain new and remodeled business establishments to have baby changing stations accessible to men and women.
The stations must be in both men's and women's restrooms, or in unisex restrooms. The accommodation can be a specially-designed station that attaches to a wall, a table, a countertop or other suitable surface. Signs must designate where the accommodations are located. The requirements do not apply to establishments that received their Certificate of Use and Occupancy prior to February 13, 1999, unless the establishment undergoes major remodeling of more than 50% of the gross floor area that includes the restroom.
Hardship exemptions are available if:
- No reasonable physical alternative exists for providing baby diaper-changing accommodations, OR
- The cost of providing such accommodations exceeds 10 percent of the cost of constructing, purchase or substantially modifying the building or facility occupied by the establishment or use.
Businesses Types Regulated
- Theaters and movie houses
- Sports arenas, auditoriums, cultural complexes and exhibition halls
- Passenger terminals
- Permanent amusement park structures
- Shopping centers of more than 25,000 square feet
- Restaurants with seating capacity of at least 50 seats serving food for consumption on premises, except where there is a centrally located facility with diaper-changing accommodations within 300 feet of the entrance of the restaurant
- Tourist attractions
- Retail stores in excess of 5,000 square feet in size
Failure to comply with the Baby Diaper-Changing Accommodations Ordinance will result in a violation subject to a Civil Penalty of $500.
If your business is in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, any building plan submitted to the County must show the baby diaper-changing accommodations. Inspectors will verify that the accommodations exist before granting final building inspections. For information about the building permit process call 305-375-2500 or visit the Permits site.
If your business is located in a municipality, contact your municipal Building official for information about their building permit process.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14:23 AM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.