Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Moving Companies

If you're planning a household move, the Miami-Dade County Moving Ordinance can help you. These tips will answer many of your questions, explain major provisions of the Moving Ordinance, and help make your relocation easier.

The Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources, regulates moving companies in Miami-Dade County. If you're moving from Miami-Dade County to another part of Miami-Dade, Broward or Palm Beach counties, or you're coming from Broward or Palm Beach counties to Miami-Dade, your move is covered by the Miami-Dade County Moving Ordinance.

However, if you're leaving South Florida, or coming from outside South Florida, then your move is not regulated by Miami-Dade's Moving Ordinance. For moves within Florida, contact the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services at 1-800-435-7352. For state-to-state moves, contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration at 1-888-368-7238.

Choosing a Mover

All businesses located in Miami-Dade County that perform South Florida household moves must be registered with the County. The registration number (example: MR-1234) must also be placed in all advertising including the Yellow Page listings and on all estimate and contract forms. Each moving truck must display the moving company's name, physical address, telephone number and registration number on the doors and a RER decal on the lower left corner of the front window.


Movers are required to provide you with a written estimate.  It is recommended that you obtain written estimates from more than one mover.  You must sign a copy of all estimates you receive, but signing does not mean you are obligated to enter into a contract with any mover.  Remember, the lowest cost estimate is not always the best deal.

When getting estimates, show the movers or describe in detail everything that needs to be packed and moved. It is important that you tell the movers whether there are stairs or elevators located at either site of your move or if there are any moving time restrictions. If you fail to provide information at the time of your estimate, it may cost you more when you move. Make sure the written estimate includes everything you plan to have moved.

Movers cannot charge separately for equipment such as pads, blankets, strapping, dollies, etc. or for packing materials if the mover does the packing.


The mover you select must present you with a contract and a Tri-County Consumer Bill of Rights and Disclosure Statement for your signature before the move begins. The contract and Disclosure Statement must contain the final cost of your move and may not exceed the written estimate, unless you've added items to be moved or failed to provide information at the time of the estimate.

The contract and Disclosure Statement must state the acceptable methods of payment. A mover must accept at least two forms of payment from among the following three: Cash (including bank checks and money orders); valid personal checks; or valid credit cards (including Visa or MasterCard)


Movers must insure your property at a minimum of 60 cents per pound per article. This coverage, called valuation, is at no cost to you. However, the free minimum coverage does not change with the value of your property. If a TV weighing 50 pounds is damaged, you will receive $30.00 from your claim regardless of the TV’s actual value.

Movers are required to offer you the opportunity to purchase added value coverage. If you are worried that the minimum coverage may not be adequate, consider purchasing added value coverage. The amount of added value you purchase is up to you. Ask your mover for details and costs associated with added value coverage.


Before loading your property onto the truck, the mover is required to prepare an inventory. The inventory lists each piece of property you are moving, including the number and sizes of boxes. The mover may charge you for the preparation of an inventory only if that charge has been disclosed to you in writing beforehand. You may, if you wish, inform the mover in writing that you do not want an inventory.


You have up to 60 days after the final delivery of your household goods to notify the moving company in writing of any claim for loss, damage or delay. No claim for damage may be denied solely because the damage was not noted at the time of delivery. You must be notified of the status of your claim within 90 days of receipt of the claim.


If you’ve tried and were unable to resolve your complaint directly with the mover or the moving business, complete the online complaint form which is automatically submitted to the Consumer Mediation Center staff. Please send all supporting documents (estimates, invoices, warranties, advertisements, letters to or from the business) attached in an email to [email protected]. Contact the Consumer Mediation Center at 786-469-2333 if you have any questions. Experienced Consumer Protection Enforcement Officers will investigate your complaint and contact you with the results. If the mover cannot satisfy the complaint within 10 days of receipt, the mover must provide the County a status of the complaint and the reasons for the delay. In any event, the mover must provide the County with the final disposition of the complaint within 90 days.

Although not included in Miami-Dade's Moving Ordinance, consumers also have the right to post a bond with the Miami-Dade Clerk of the Courts, Court Registry, to retrieve their goods from a mover. Call 305-275-1155 for details regarding this process.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50:47 AM
Consumer Protection

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.