Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Portal will be undergoing maintenance starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, May 3 and for all of Sunday, May 4. Intermittent outages may be experienced. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our online services.
A taxicab is a for-hire motor vehicle which transports eight passengers or less (exclusive of the driver) and provides either street hail or pre-arranged taxicab service. It is equipped with a taximeter, and the passenger controls the route and destination. The drivers of such vehicles must have a chauffeur's registration, and the vehicles must be inspected.
- List of Licensed Taxicab Companies
- Taxicab Stand Locations
- Wheelchair Accessible Cab (WAC) Service
- Industry Notices
$1 taxicab fuel surcharge discontinued
Effective Oct. 20, 2014, the $1 taxicab fuel surcharge added to every taxicab trip due to high gasoline prices was discontinued.
County officials will be ensuring the fuel surcharge decals have been removed from vehicles.
Ambassador Cabs Program
A workshop was held on April 2, 2014 on a portion of the proposed Ambassador Cabs Program, which is currently being drafted based on an ordinance approved by Jan. 29, 2014 by the Board of County Commissioners.
One of the details of the Ambassador Cabs Program, which relates to taxicab service at Miami International Airport and the Port of Miami, allows for discounts to be offered for passenger cab fares when payment not involving a credit card is used.
For more information, call 305-275-1250.
- Passengers should make sure the driver is registered and the vehicle is licensed. There must be a decal and/or license number on the exterior of the vehicle, and the driver's picture and registration number must be displayed on the vehicle dashboard.
- Taxis in Miami-Dade County are required to have a SunPass transponder. This allows taxicab drivers to add tolls to the fares but at the discounted Sunpass rate.
- There is no per passenger or baggage charge.
- The fare is the amount shown on the meter, unless a flat rate applies. Flat rate taxi service applies to trips to and from Miami International Airport and the Seaport (Port of Miami), the Beaches, the Village of Key Biscayne and two zones close to the Airport (see the flat rate guide posted on the right rear passenger window).
- The meter starts when the taxi begins the trip toward the desired destination.
- Complete the Taxi Complaint Form to submit a complaint about a taxi driver or cab. Provide your contact information if you would like us to follow up.
Except where flat rates are operational, fares are determined by the taximeters which are inspected and sealed at the County's Vehicle Inspection Station.
The metered rate is calculated at:
- $2.50 for first 1/6 of a mile
- $0.40 for each additional 1/6 mile
- $0.40 per minute ($24 per hour) wait charge
- Road tolls are in addition to the metered fare. The passenger pays the lower Sunpass rate.
- For trips originating at Miami International Airport or the Port of Miami a $2 surcharge will be added to the meter fare.
Tipping is optional but customary. The passenger is entitled to receive a receipt.
TaxiFareFinder - Find the estimated cost of cab fare in Miami-Dade County
TaxiFareFinder is an independently owned business, unaffiliated with Miami-Dade County. Rates are subject to change
Miami-Dade County may, under certain conditions, authorize taxicab drivers to add a per-trip fuel surcharge to fares if the price of gas rises to a determined amount. The surcharge was established to help taxicab drivers offset the high cost of gasoline by Ordinance 08-71, passed by the Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners on June 3, 2008.
Currently, there is no fuel surcharge in place.
Ordinance 08-71 provided for a $1.00 surcharge when the average price of regular gas, as reported by the Energy Information Administration (EIA) of the U.S. Department of Energy (EIA), is $3.50 for three consecutive weeks. The surcharge could increase or decrease depending on the average fuel cost for three consecutive weeks as reported by the EIA.
The rate schedule below lists when the surcharge increments kick in.
Avg. Price Per Gallon
Fuel Surcharge Rates
- When a fuel surcharge is in effect, notice of the surcharge will be posted in each taxicab.
- The driver will add the surcharge using the "extra" button on the taximeter.
- On flat fare trips where the taximeter is not used, and on a small number of meters that do not have an "extra" button, the driver will manually add the surcharge to the fare.
- If the average price of gas drops, so will the fuel surcharge according to the rate schedule above.
Taxicab Passenger Bill of Rights
- As a for-hire passenger you have the right to:
- Outstanding service.
- Air conditioning as soon as you enter the vehicle unless you request otherwise.
- The chauffeur taking the most direct route unless you request a different route.
- Be transported without fear or refusal.
- A chauffeur who knows and obeys all traffic laws.
- A radio free (silent) trip.
- Smoke and incense free air.
- A courteous, English-speaking chauffeur who knows the streets of Miami-Dade County.
- A receipt offered for the fare charged.
- A clean passenger and trunk compartment and vehicle exterior.
- Know the chauffeur registration number
- Be transported in compliance with the standards set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Taxicab Chauffeur Incentive Program
The County operates a Taxicab Chauffeur Incentive Program (TCIP), which recognizes and rewards taxicab drivers for outstanding service to tourists, visitors and residents of Miami-Dade.
Four times a year a Chauffeur of the Quarter is selected from a pool of drivers recommended by members of the public. From among these nominees, a Chauffeur of the Year is also named.
The Chauffeur of the Quarter receives a commemorative plaque and a $500 cash award, while the runners-up receive $50 each and a certificate.
The Chauffeur of the Year is awarded a commemorative plaque and $2,500.
The TCIP was started by the Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners as part of an overall program to improve customer service within the industry and to recognize outstanding chauffeurs.
Any member of the public who wishes to recommend a taxicab driver for a Chauffeur of the Quarter award should email the Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or download a nomination form . The form should be filled out and mailed to:
PASSENGER TRANSPORTATION REGULATORY DIVISION
140 WEST FLAGLER STREET
MIAMI, FL 33130
Note*: To download and fill out a permit and/or license application, visit the permits page and view a listing of permits and licenses separated by division.
The 2006 Taxicab Ridership Study (Phase I , Phase II , Final Report ) is a report on the findings of Miami-Dade County taxi surveys, secret shoppers, airport taxi usage, underserved areas, and interviews with taxi industry members. The purpose of the study is to devise an equitable formula for the introduction of additional taxi licenses as the community of Miami-Dade County requires them.
Taxicab Advisory Group
Established by the Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources, the Taxicab Advisory Group (TAG) provides input on various issues relating to the taxicab industry. TAG is comprised of consumer and industry representatives, transportation-related interests, municipalities and public interest organizations. Duties include developing, implementing and evaluating new innovative taxicab services, service expansion and improvements.
Taxi Complaint Form
Complete the Taxi Complaint Form to submit a complaint about a taxi driver or cab. Provide your contact information if you would like us to follow up.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.