As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Here are some things you will need to plan for prior to the hurricane season:
- Plan on taking care of yourself without electricity. Remember that the person taking care of you and your electrical devices may not be available right before and directly after a storm. If you are not able to do so, make other arrangements now.
- If you are elderly, frail, or a person with disabilities and have friends or relatives that can help with your property, housing and welfare, contact them now so that they can include your needs as part of their hurricane planning. They will need to include the time it will take for you to gather items you need and the transportation time. You should rehearse this as part of your yearly hurricane preparations in May.
- Make a list of prescribed medications, and get a months supply. You should also make copies of the prescriptions. Your pharmacy’s records may not be available right away.
- If you normally require a special diet, make sure you take along a three day supply of it in containers that will be easy for you to open.
- Transfer to a manual wheelchair if you are in a battery operated one. You may not be able to recharge the batteries.
- Make sure you are wearing an ID bracelet with your name, medications, allergies, and contact information.
- If you are in a nursing home, ask to see their hurricane plan that details where and when the residents will be evacuated. Be sure to let your family or friends know where you will be taken if evacuated.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.