Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
CERT provides instruction and training for a variety of response capabilities. The skills learned in CERT training are applicable to a host of emergency situations, thus better preparing our community to recover from a disaster. Interested participants can expect to learn the following response functions:
- Disaster Preparedness: CERT instructs team members how to prepare themselves and their neighborhoods for the various hazards that may occur.
- Team Organization and Disaster Psychology: CERT addresses organizational and management principles necessary for a CERT to operate successfully, and critical incident stress for victims as well as workers.
- Medical Operations: CERT team members will learn how to conduct triage, establish medical treatment areas, and provide basic first aid for victims.
Damage Assessment: Team members will learn how to rapidly assess damage employing a standardized format used throughout the county.
- Terrorism Awareness: Team members will learn the definition of terrorism and terrorist goals, the weapons that are used, and the indicators of a terrorist attack.
- Fire Suppression: Team members will learn how to use extinguishers and other equipment to suppress small fires.
- Light Search and Rescue: Team members will learn light search and rescue planning, techniques, and rescuer safety.
Upon satisfactory completion of the course, the CERT Program provides each student with their own personal protection equipment cache (PPE) that includes a CERT carry bag, safety vest, gloves, goggles, flashlight, medical first aid kit, and more.
The entire CERT training course is 20 hours, broken up over three days. Classes are offered at Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Training Facility in Doral and at other locations in the County. In order to complete certification, you MUST attend all three days at the same campus- there are no make up days! If you plan to enroll, please make certain your schedule allows attendance for all three days.
Each fall, a refresher and/or “bonus” class is offered to CERT members at a specialized training facility with Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, where CERT members can practice putting out fires, search and rescue techniques, and brush up on rusty skills. A liability waiver agreement is required from each participant, which must be signed, notarized, and filed with the CERT Program Manager prior to attending the session. Participants MUST wear long-sleeved shirts, jeans, and boots/sneakers to attend the event- all those not wearing the required attire will be denied access for safety reasons.
Note- Fire Rescue reserves the right to cancel any class at any time, with little or no notice. This should occur only in the event of a disaster impacting the County; however, other incidents could precipitate the cancellation of classes.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:25:46 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.