Civil Citation represents systemic change and reforms the protocol on how police and the community address juvenile first-time misdemeanor offenders.
All children who have committed a minor first-time misdemeanor offense will have the opportunity to participate without being arrested. Rather than issuing an arrest, police officers refer eligible children to Juvenile Services Department where they will receive an assessment and application of appropriate, targeted interventions without the stigma of an arrest. Program participation ranges approximately 90-120 days. Upon successful completion of the Civil Citation Program no entry will be made into criminal databases which may be released even if the record is sealed or expunged.
Benefits to youth and family
- Offers youth a chance to strengthen the family unit
- Lower referrals to the Juvenile Justice System for minor crimes
- Reduce youth's delinquent attitudes and behaviors
- Creates outlets for pro-social activities
- Maintains a 'clean' criminal record
Cost benefits to Juvenile Justice Community
- Cost savings to the community through Intake and Screening process time reduced
- Because no court record is generated, court fees are eliminated and no court appearance is required
For more information, please contact the Civil Citation Referral Reduction Coordinator, Karen Diazgranados at 305-755-6239.
Civil Citation Forms for Law Enforcement
Below are the forms for Law Enforcement Officers to use when referring a youth to the Civil Citation Program. A training package is also available as a reference.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.