At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
The Juvenile Assessment Center (JAC) is a centralized processing, referral and evaluation center for all juveniles arrested in Miami-Dade County and is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Upon arrival, the arrested juvenile goes through the intake, screening and assessment process.
Juvenile arrest information is secure and confidential. Information on a particular juvenile processed at the facility can only be released to the parent or legal guardian of the juvenile. To determine if your child has been arrested, please contact 305-755-6130.
The outline below is a detailed account of what occurs when an arrested juvenile is processed at the Juvenile Assessment Center (JAC).
- All youth are “searched” for weapons and contraband, to prevent the introduction of these items into the facility. Additionally, all personal property, e.g., jewelry, book bags, pens, pencils, etc., are removed and placed into safe and secured storage.
- Staff makes immediate notification to family members advising the youth’s family of his/her whereabouts.
- The law enforcement officer provides the arrest information to staff, whom enters the information into the youth’s permanent record.
- All youth are fingerprinted, photographed, and a complete and comprehensive criminal history background is conducted.
- All youth sit in a large assessment area, separated by gender, awaiting processing by a Juvenile Assessment Counselor (JAC).
- The process may take upwards of six to eight hours, depending on the severity of charge, the number of youth in custody, and 24 detention hearing court calendar mandates.
- When the JAC processing is completed, the youth is either released to parents, legal guardian, responsible adult, or shelter or held in secure detention pending the 24 hour detention court hearing. If the child meets criteria to detain, he/she will be sent directly to the Miami-Dade Juvenile Detention Center located at 3300 NW 27th Ave. If the child is determined to be releasable, he/she will be released to the proper custodian and may be summoned to appear in court at a later date.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.