Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
Providers of jitney service must be issued a Passenger Motor Carrier Certificate of Transportation. Jitneys operate on a fixed route but not on a fixed schedule basis. The drivers must have a for-hire chauffeur registration, and the vehicles must be inspected.
Chapter 31, Article III of the Miami-Dade County Code requires anyone wishing to provide passenger motor carrier services to first obtain a certificate of transportation. Passenger motor carrier service is generally prearranged transportation using vehicles with a seating capacity of between 9 and 28 passengers, not including the driver. Passenger motor carrier vehicles are vans and minibuses.
Passenger motor carrier services in Miami-Dade County are licensed and regulated to assure the passengers, as well as others utilizing the streets of Miami-Dade County, that the vehicles are fit and their operators and chauffeurs are competent to provide such service.
How to Apply
If you plan to operate a jitney route in Miami-Dade County you must obtain a Passenger Motor Carrier Certificate of Transportation. As part of the process you will be required to submit with your application, a map detailing your proposed route. This will be evaluated by Miami-Dade Transit as part of the overall evaluation of the application.
It is strongly recommended that you meet with the transit planners and allow them to review your proposed route prior to submitting your application. If there is a problem with the route, they will let you know and perhaps work with you to make it acceptable pursuant the provisions of the Code.
The application is reviewed for compliance with the regulations of the Code of Miami-Dade County which requires, among other things, that the applicant passes a background check which will include scrutiny of his/her financial and criminal record history.
It will take between three and six months from the time you apply to the time your application is considered for approval by the Board.
There is a three-step review process for your application.
- Once it is accepted, a notice of submission is sent to all Passenger Motor Carrier Certificate holders, all of the municipalities in Miami-Dade County and interested parties in the ground transportation industry. This notice provides a 20-day period for any of these interests to object it.
- After the protest period passes and if no challenge has been made to your application, an agenda item will be prepared for submission to a sub-committee of the Board of County Commissioners.
- The application will then be placed before the full Board of County Commissioners. There is a schedule of available meetings and a 20-day notice is required for the public hearing. You will be notified of the date and time of this meeting. At this hearing members of the public can comment. At the conclusion of the hearing the Board will vote on the application.
Cash will not be accepted. Fees can be paid by check, money order or cashiers check made payable to the Miami-Dade County Regulatory and Economic Resources Department. If renewing in person, the renewal fee can be paid by credit card (Mastercard or Visa).
Certificates are valid for one year. The Passenger Motor Carrier (PMC) Certificate of Transportation cycle runs from April 1 to March 31 of the following year. Certificate renewal forms are mailed to the operator a minimum of 60 days prior to the expiration of the certificate. Transfers of PMC certificates must be approved by the Board of County Commissioners.
Additional Business Requirements
- You will need an Occupational License issued by Miami-Dade County.
- Depending on where the company is located, you may also need a municipal license.
- Furthermore, prior to beginning operations, vehicles must obtain valid inspection and operating permit decals issued by the Vehicle Inspection Station.
- Drivers of these vehicles must each have a valid chauffeur registration.
Decorative/advertising decals or complete wrapping of one or more windows are prohibited on vehicles regulated under the various for-hire and other transportation related ordinances under its purview is prohibited.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.