As part of the Miami-Dade Police Department Student Internship Program, candidates will have an opportunity to work with sworn officers and support staff doing real police work with the best equipment and technology the field has to offer, in a major metropolitan environment.
Students are exposed to all aspects of an accredited, multi-faceted, crime-fighting organization, against the backdrop of the Atlantic Ocean and some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. Upon successful completion of the course, the participants walk away with a diverse and unique experience that they can take with them into many different criminal justice careers.
About the Student Internship Program
The Student Internship Program is 14 – 15 weeks in length and is designed to enhance learning through the observation of police activities. Students are assigned to various entities during the duration of their internship.
Some of the entities they are assigned to include:
- Special Patrol Bureau (Aviation, Marine Patrol, K-9, Motorcycle Unit, Bomb Squad, Special Response Team/SWAT, Special Events)
- Central Records
- Communications (9-11, Police Dispatcher)
- Public Information & Education Bureau (Media, Community Services)
- Sheriff Services Bureau (Warrants, Court Services)
- Fiscal Administration
- Forensic Services (Crime Scene, Crime Lab)
- Special Victims (Sexual Crimes and Domestic Violence)
- Uniform Patrol (North and South Districts)
The Internship Coordinator's Role
The Miami-Dade Police Department's Intern Coordinator supervises the internship program and is available to work with college / university intern coordinators in developing the intern program that meets your school's requirements.
The Miami-Dade Police Department's Intern Coordinator also:
- Assists the intern with completion of the application for internship
- Monitors the completion of required weekly reports by the intern
- Completes midterm and final evaluations for interns as required by their school(s)
- Issues a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the program
- Schedules the intern's placement within the Miami-Dade Police Department during the program.
General Internship Requirements
An applicant must be:
- Interested in a career in Criminal Justice
- Highly-motivated and ready to broaden their understanding of real police work
- At least 18 years old
- A junior, senior, or graduate student at an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in their major and 2.7 GPA overall
- And recommended by their faculty advisor
Registration / Application / General Information
MDPD Internship Program Requirements
Sergeant Martha Melcon
Public Information & Education BureauTelephone 305-471-1716Fax 305-471-1904