Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
Nominations for the 28th Annual In the Company of Women Awards are being accepted now - Oct. 16.
All women in Miami-Dade County who have exemplified professional development, community responsibility, leadership and vision, contribution to women’s progress, and promotion of pluralism can be nominated in one of the following 12 categories:
- Arts and Entertainment
- Business and Economics
- Education and Research
- Government and Law (Elected)
- Government and Law (Non- Elected)
- Health and Human Services
- Science and Technology
- Sports and Athletics
- Mayor’s Pioneer Award
- Community Spirit Award
- Posthumous Award
Or download the nomination form and mail to:
Laura Morilla, Executive Director
Miami-Dade County Commission for Women
111 NW First Street, Suite 1034
Miami, FL 33128
Nomination forms must be postmarked by October 16, 2015.
Winners will be awarded on March 3, 2016, at the Coral Gables Country Club. Past recipients are not eligible.
Presented by Macy's
2015 Winners and Awards Ceremony
- Mayor’s Pioneer Award — Sheila Duffy-Lehrman, Tropic Survival Advertising & Marketing
- Community Spirit - Cassandra Theramene, Scholars Today, Leaders of Tomorrow, Inc
- Posthumous Award – Anne Mergen, Editorial Cartoonist
- Arts & Entertainment - Kalyn Chapman James, Art Loft and the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts
- Business & Economics — Antoinette Patterson, One World Learning Center
- Communications & Literature — n/a
- Education & Research — Malou C. Harrison, Miami Dade College, North Campus
- Government & Law (Elected) — Honorable Bertila Soto, Chief Judge, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court
- Government & Law (Non-Elected) — Iraida R. Mendez-Cartaya, Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- Health & Human Services — Aileen M. Marty, M.D., FACP, Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Florida International University
- Science & Technology — n/a
- Sports & Athletics — Dr. Janice Bell, St. Thomas University
In the Company of Women was created in 1989 as a way to unite the diverse population of Miami-Dade County by recognizing outstanding women who have impacted our community in a positive way. Winners are from many professions including government and politics, law, health, education, the arts, sports, business, journalism and the social sciences.
This popular and prestigious event serves as part of Women's History Month, observed annually in March. The event has received recognition from the National Association of Counties and the Southern Region of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission.
In the Company of Women is part of the programming presented by Miami-Dade Parks' Women's Park. Officially dedicated in 1992, The Women's Park honors all women in Miami-Dade County in recognition of their diverse contributions to improving our community's quality of life. In 2000, the Roxcy O'Neal Bolton Women's History Gallery was built to serve as a resource center.
One of the Park's seminal programs is the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring (G.E.M.) Summer Camp Program. Proceeds from In the Company of Women provide support to more than 50 girls between the ages of 11 to 16 registered annually in the G.E.M. Program with projects, workshops and mentoring opportunities to build self-esteem, strengthen their connection to the community, and provide quality arts experiences.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.