At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Twelve distinguished women leaders have been selected as recipients of the 2017 In the Company of Women Awards for their professional and pluralistic achievements in one of 12 categories:
The winners will receive their award during the 29th Annual In the Company of Women Awards Ceremony and Reception, presented by Macy's, scheduled for March 8, 2017 at 6 p.m., at the Coral Gables Country Club, 990 Alhambra Circle, Coral Gables, FL. The event will feature a pre-event reception with drinks, hors d'oeuvres and a silent auction, followed by the awards ceremony. Tickets are $60 in advance, $65 at the door; children 12-17 are $25, and under 12 are free.
2017 Winners and Awards Ceremony
- Mayor's Pioneer - Carol Kruse, Director, Zoo Miami
- Arts & Entertainment - Nannette Zapata, COO and Art Curator, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Business & Economics – Patricia Nelson, Regional Head of Strategic Accounts, AvMed
- Education and Research - Dr. Lenore Rodicio, Executive Vice President and Provost, Miami-Dade College
- Government and Law (Elected Official) – Honorable Nushin Sayfie, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court Judge, Criminal Division; and Honorable Angelica Zayas, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court Judge, Juvenile Division
- Government and Law (Non-Elected) - Dr. Emma Lew, Director and Medical Examiner, Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner Department
- Health and Human Services - Annie Neasman, MS, RN, President and CEO, Jessie Trice Community Health Center, Inc.
- Science & Technology - Dr. Yesim Darici, Director, FIU Center for Women’s and Gender Studies
- Sports & Athletics - Leslie Nixon, J.D., Ed.D., Director, Government and Community Affairs, Miami Dolphins LTD/Miami Dolphins Foundation.
- Posthumous - Julie Kay, Journalist, Daily Business Review
- Community Spirit - Maria M. Blet, Chair of the Women’s Leadership Council, United Way Worldwide / United Way of Miami-Dade
In the Company of Women is made possible with the support of generous sponsors, including Macy's, Miami-Dade County Commissioner Barbara Jordan, District 1, AvMed, Miami-Dade County Commissioner Sally A. Heyman, District 4, and the Miami-Dade County Commission for Women. Download the sponsorship package to see how your company can be a sponsor. For more information, call 305-755-7820.
In the Company of Women was created in 1989 as a way to unite the diverse population of Miami-Dade County by recognizing outstanding women who have impacted our community in a positive way. Winners are from many professions including government and politics, law, health, education, the arts, sports, business, journalism and the social sciences.
This popular and prestigious event serves as part of Women's History Month, observed annually in March. The event has received recognition from the National Association of Counties and the Southern Region of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission.
In the Company of Women is part of the programming presented by Miami-Dade Parks' Women's Park. Officially dedicated in 1992, The Women's Park honors all women in Miami-Dade County in recognition of their diverse contributions to improving our community's quality of life. In 2000, the Roxcy O'Neal Bolton Women's History Gallery was built to serve as a resource center.
One of the Park's seminal programs is the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring (G.E.M.) Summer Camp Program. Proceeds from In the Company of Women provide support to more than 50 girls between the ages of 11 to 16 registered annually in the G.E.M. Program with projects, workshops and mentoring opportunities to build self-esteem, strengthen their connection to the community, and provide quality arts experiences.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.