As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Thirteen amazing South Florida women joined a long list of women who have won the coveted In the Company of Women Awards. This year marks the 30th anniversary of this award that has united this community by honoring outstanding women leaders and pioneers who have paved the way for others to follow.
- Mayor's Pioneer – Honorable Enid Weisman, Mayor, City of Aventura.
- Arts & Entertainment – Silvia Cubiñá, Director and Chief Curator, The Bass Museum of Art.
- Business & Economics – Lakitsia Gaines, President, Lakitsia Gaines Insurance Agency, Inc.
- Communications & Literature – Sandra Peebles, Anchor & Broadcast Journalist, Univision 23.
- Education and Research – Joanna Lombard, Architect/Professor, University of Miami School of Architecture; University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Department of Public Health Sciences.
- Government and Law (Elected Official) – Honorable Shelley Kravitz (Aug. 9, 1953 - Jan. 2, 2018), Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court Judge, County Civil Division.
- Government and Law (Non-Elected) – Aliette DelPozo Rodz, Litigation Attorney/Partner, Shutts & Bowen LLP.
- Health and Human Services – two winners: Catherimarty (Cathy) Burgos, LCSW Division Director of Operations, Miami-Dade County Juvenile Services Department; and,
- Dr. Giselle Guerra, Medical Director of Transplant Services and Living Donor Kidney Program, Miami Transplant Institute; Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
- Science & Technology – Veronique Koch, Producer/Filmmaker, Vero Productions/South Florida PBS/Frost Science Museum.
- Sports & Athletics – Caron B. Schiffman, Physical Education Instructor/Coach, Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School.
- Young Professional (New) – Honorable Patricia D. Fairclough, Vice Mayor, City of Homestead.
- Community Spirit – Marile Lopez, Philanthropist, Miami Children's Hospital Foundation, American Cancer Society, American Red Cross and others.
The winners received their award at the 30th anniversary celebration on Thursday, March 8, 2018 at the luxurious Coral Gables Country Club. The event began with a reception, followed by a sit-down dinner and awards presentation.
In the Company of Women takes place annually in March in commemoration of Women's History Month and is hosted by the Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade, the Miami-Dade County Commission for Women, and the Miami-Dade Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department. Proceeds support Miami-Dade Parks and parks programming, including The Women's Park and the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring (G.E.M.) Summer Arts Program.
In the Company of Women is made possible with the support of generous sponsors, including Macy's and the Miami-Dade County Commission for Women, Miami-Dade County Commissioner Joe A. Martinez, District 11, and Miami-Dade County Commissioner Daniella Levine Cava, District 8. For more information, call 305-755-7920 or 305-755-7943.
Download the sponsorship package to see how your company can be a sponsor.
About the In the Company of Women Awards
For the last 30 years, Miami-Dade Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department, in partnership with the Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade and the Miami-Dade Commission for Women, has presented In the Company of Women, to honor Miami-Dade County's most amazing women. The event celebrates these leaders during an awards ceremony, but it also serves as a time to highlight the work and contributions of The Women's Park – a Miami-Dade County Park – which was created to recognize and celebrate the contributions of women who help to improve our community's quality of life. It is the first park in the nation of its kind. One of the Park's seminal programs is the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring (G.E.M.) Summer Camp Program. Proceeds from In the Company of Women provide support to more than 50 girls between the ages of 11 and 16 who participate in the G.E.M. Program and get to experience workshops, field trips and mentoring opportunities that help build their self-esteem, strengthen their connection to the community, and provide arts experiences that unleash their creativity and imagination.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.