As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
The annual In the Company of Women Award recognizes Miami-Dade's women leaders and commemorates Women's History Month.
The call for nominations for next year’s 30th anniversary celebration of the In the Company of Women Awards has ended. Nominations received will now be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of event organizers and past award recipients who will select the winners based on the criteria of promotion of pluralism, professional development, community involvement, leadership and vision, and contribution to women’s progress in 13 categories.
Winners will be announced here in December 2017, joining the ranks of previous winners like Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Yvonne Santa Maria, Athalie Range, Elizabeth Virrick and Alice Wainwright who helped pave new paths for women; or women like Ann Bishop, Cheryl Brownstein-Santiago, Gloria Estefan, Gill Freeman, Carrie Meek Queen Chiku N’gozi, Sister Jeanne O’Laughlin, Maria Elvira Salazar and Pam Saulsby for their contributions to women's progress.
Mark your calendars to celebrate and honor these outstanding women leaders at our awards dinner on March 8, 2018.
In the Company of Women is made possible with the support of generous sponsors, including Macy's. For more information, call 305-755-7920 or 305-755-7943.
Download the sponsorship package to see how your company can be a sponsor.
- Mayor's Pioneer - Carol Kruse, director, Zoo Miami
- Arts & Entertainment - Nannette Zapata, COO and art curator, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Business & Economics – Patricia Nelson, regional head of strategic accounts, AvMed
- Education and Research - Dr. Lenore Rodicio, executive vice president and provost, Miami-Dade College
- Government and Law (Elected Official) – Honorable Nushin Sayfie, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court judge, Criminal Division; and Honorable Angelica Zayas, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court judge, Juvenile Division
- Government and Law (Non-Elected) - Dr. Emma Lew, director and Medical Examiner, Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner Department
- Health and Human Services - Annie Neasman, MS, RN, president and CEO, Jessie Trice Community Health Center, Inc.
- Science & Technology - Dr. Yesim Darici, director, FIU Center for Women's and Gender Studies
- Sports & Athletics - Leslie Nixon, J.D., Ed.D., director, Government and Community Affairs, Miami Dolphins LTD/Miami Dolphins Foundation.
- Posthumous - Julie Kay, journalist, Daily Business Review
- Community Spirit - Maria M. Blet, chair of the Women's Leadership Council, United Way Worldwide / United Way of Miami-Dade
About the In the Company of Women Awards
For the last 30 years, Miami-Dade Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department, in partnership with the Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade and the Miami-Dade Commission for Women, has presented In the Company of Women, to honor Miami-Dade County’s most amazing women. The event celebrates these leaders during an awards ceremony, but it also serves as a time to highlight the work and contributions of The Women’s Park – a Miami-Dade County Park – which was created to recognize and celebrate the contributions of women who help to improve our community’s quality of life. It is the first park in the nation of its kind. One of the Park's seminal programs is the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring (G.E.M.) Summer Camp Program. Proceeds from In the Company of Women provide support to more than 50 girls between the ages of 11 and 16 who participate in the G.E.M. Program and get to experience workshops, field trips and mentoring opportunities that help build their self-esteem, strengthen their connection to the community, and provide arts experiences that unleash their creativity and imagination.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.