At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
International Women's Day was the perfect setting to honor 12 trailblazing women for their professional and civic achievements, at the 29th Annual ''In the Company of Women'' Awards, presented by Macy's. The celebration was held at the beautiful Coral Gables Country Club and featured a pre-event reception with cocktails, hors d’oeuvres and a silent auction, followed by the awards ceremony.
Awards were given out in 11 categories. Meet the 2017 award winners and hear from them in their own words.
- Mayor's Pioneer - Carol Kruse, director, Zoo Miami
- Arts & Entertainment - Nannette Zapata, COO and art curator, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Business & Economics – Patricia Nelson, regional head of strategic accounts, AvMed
- Education and Research - Dr. Lenore Rodicio, executive vice president and provost, Miami-Dade College
- Government and Law (Elected Official) – Honorable Nushin Sayfie, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court judge, Criminal Division; and Honorable Angelica Zayas, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court judge, Juvenile Division
- Government and Law (Non-Elected) - Dr. Emma Lew, director and Medical Examiner, Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner Department
- Health and Human Services - Annie Neasman, MS, RN, president and CEO, Jessie Trice Community Health Center, Inc.
- Science & Technology - Dr. Yesim Darici, director, FIU Center for Women's and Gender Studies
- Sports & Athletics - Leslie Nixon, J.D., Ed.D., director, Government and Community Affairs, Miami Dolphins LTD/Miami Dolphins Foundation.
- Posthumous - Julie Kay, journalist, Daily Business Review
- Community Spirit - Maria M. Blet, chair of the Women's Leadership Council, United Way Worldwide / United Way of Miami-Dade
In the Company of Women is made possible with the support of generous sponsors, including Macy's, Coconut Grove Bank, Florida International University, Miami-Dade County Commissioner Barbara Jordan, District 1, Miami Dolphins Foundation, AvMed, Miami-Dade County Commissioner Sally A. Heyman, District 4, the Miami-Dade County Commission for Women, Jessie Trice Community Health Center, Inc., Miami-Dade County Commissioner Joe A. Martinez, District 11, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Coca-Cola Refreshments, and Miami-Dade Chairman Esteban L. Bovo, Jr.
Download the sponsorship package to see how your company can be a sponsor. For more information, call 305-755-7820.
In the Company of Women was created in 1989 as a way to unite the diverse population of Miami-Dade County by recognizing outstanding women who have impacted our community in a positive way. Winners are from many professions including government and politics, law, health, education, the arts, sports, business, journalism and the social sciences.
This popular and prestigious event serves as part of Women's History Month, observed annually in March. The event has received recognition from the National Association of Counties and the Southern Region of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission.
In the Company of Women is part of the programming presented by Miami-Dade Parks' Women's Park. Officially dedicated in 1992, The Women's Park honors all women in Miami-Dade County in recognition of their diverse contributions to improving our community's quality of life. In 2000, the Roxcy O'Neal Bolton Women's History Gallery was built to serve as a resource center.
One of the Park's seminal programs is the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring (G.E.M.) Summer Camp Program. Proceeds from In the Company of Women provide support to more than 50 girls between the ages of 11 to 16 registered annually in the G.E.M. Program with projects, workshops and mentoring opportunities to build self-esteem, strengthen their connection to the community, and provide quality arts experiences.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.