Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Portal will be undergoing maintenance starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, May 3 and for all of Sunday, May 4. Intermittent outages may be experienced. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our online services.
Class IV Permit (wetlands)
The following types of projects may be processed as Short Form Class IV Permit applications:
- Clearing, farming, placement of clean fill, dredging, plowing or any other work within wetlands requiring a Class IV Permit and not lying within the Bird Drive Everglades Wetland Basin or the North Trail Wetland Basin and where the proposed use is consistent with existing zoning regulations and the cumulative area upon which work will be performed does not exceed:
- One acre of wetlands in areas designated as "Environmental Protection" on the current Miami-Dade County Comprehensive Development Master Plan Map, or
- 10 acres of wetlands in areas designated as "Open Land" or "Agriculture" on the current Miami-Dade County Comprehensive Development Master Plan Map, or
- 15 acres of wetlands for lands inside the "Urban Development Boundary Line" as it appears on the current Miami-Dade County Comprehensive Development Master Plan Map.
- Rock mining in the Transitional Northeast Everglades, the East Turnpike Wetland Basin and the C-9 Wetland Basin (see Figure 2, Page 4 of the Class IV Application Package), when the rock mining has been previously approved as an unusual use by Miami-Dade County, and the design and development criteria for the proposed rock mining project does not conflict with the prior unusual use approval by Miami-Dade County.
- Clearing, farming, placement of clean fill, dredging, plowing or any other agricultural site alteration within the North Trail Wetland Basin or the Bird Drive Everglades Wetland Basin.
- Clearing, placement of clean fill or dredging in wetlands associated with a modification of the Central and South Florida Flood Control Project, intended to restore historical patterns of hydrologic flow to Everglades National Park, Florida Bay or Biscayne Bay and performed by the State of Florida or the United States Government. Modifications intended to provide additional drainage of wetland areas shall be processed as standard form permits subject to the provisions of Chapter 24-58.2 (II) (A).
Any project involving work in freshwater wetlands that does not meet one of the criteria for the Short Form permit will be processed as a standard form Class IV Permit application and will be subject to a full public hearing before the Board of County Commissioners.
It should be noted that permits from the US Army Corps of Engineers (Corps), the State of Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and the South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) may also be required for work within Miami-Dade County's wetland areas. The map in the permit package is not intended for use in determining the limits of jurisdiction of these agencies.
Applicants should contact the following offices to determine if DEP, the Corps, and SFWMD dredge and fill permits are needed for a particular area:
- Army Corps of Engineers Miami Office - 305-526-7181
- Department of Environmental Protection West Palm Beach Office - 561-681-6600
- South Florida Water Management District West Palm Beach Office - 800-432-2045
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.