Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Portal will be undergoing maintenance starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, May 3 and for all of Sunday, May 4. Intermittent outages may be experienced. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our online services.
Industrial Facilities (IW5) Permit
The Industrial Facilities (IW5) permit is used to regulate facilities that use or store small quantity hazardous materials or waste. The permit provides operating conditions and requirements as well as guidance for the operators. Section 24-18 of the Code of Miami-Dade County lists some of the types of facilities that require the IW5 operating permit.
This permit is necessary to protect both the public and the environment from the consequences of improper storage, generation, disposal or handling of hazardous materials and hazardous waste.
How to Apply
- If located within any city or municipality, a municipal Occupational License and/or a Certificate of Use (CU) from the city is generally required prior to accepting an application for operating permit.
- In unincorporated areas of the county, a valid Certificate of Use, or approved CU application must be submitted.
You can apply for a Certificate of Use and Occupancy with Miami-Dade County at 11805 SW 26 Street. If your facility is located within a municipality, apply at their Occupational License Office.
- Additionally, prior to opening your facility we recommend that you determine if your facility is located within a Wellfield Protection Area as identified in Chapter 24-43 of the Miami-Dade County Code.
There are restrictions as to what type of facilities are allowed in these areas.
- You will also need to determine if the property is served by sanitary sewers and is on public water, by contacting the appropriate Water and Sewer Department.
In order to apply for the Industrial Facilities (IW5) operating permit (once all the above certificates and licenses are acquired) bring
- a copy of your water and sewer bill,
- Certificate of Use and/or Occupational License
to the Office of Plan Review Services, or directly to the Industrial Facilities Section located at the Overtown Transit Village building.
It is suggested that other municipal, county, State and Federal Agencies also be consulted to determine which additional permits must be obtained from those agencies.
A completed application that is submitted in person is generally reviewed and an answer provided in a matter of minutes. The actual Operating Permit that must be posted at the facility is usually mailed within 30 days of receiving the complete application and obtained approval.
The permit fees are based on the type of facility and factors such as holding tank capacity, volume of industrial discharges and whether the facility discharges to the ground or sanitary sewers. For specifics, please see the Fee Schedule.
The IW5 permit calendar year runs from May 1 through April 30 of the following year. Permit renewal forms are sent to the facility operators a minimum of 60 days prior to the expiration of the permit.
For more information, please contact 305-372-6600.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.