Sewer Extension Permit
The Sewer Extension Permit is required for the construction of new Domestic Wastewater Collection/Transmission Systems (sanitary sewer pipes and pump stations) or modification of existing ones in Miami-Dade County.
This permit is necessary to ensure that domestic wastewater systems in Miami-Dade County are designed and built according to the industry standards and have adequate capacity to accommodate the sewage flows for which they are intended. This is a crucial aspect in the protection and preservation of the public health, safety and welfare.
- Chapter 62-604 of the Florida Administrative Code requires this permit. The permitting process in Miami-Dade County has been delegated to the Regulatory and Economic Resources Department (RER) through the Specific Operating Agreement (SOA) existing between RER and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP). This includes the responsibility to determine if a connection, modification, repair, etc., requires a permit.
Prior to approval, the project shall be approved by the utility providing the sewer services in that area and all other utilities through which the wastewater passes, as well as the treatment plant where the wastewaters are processed.
As provided by FDEP regulations and the Specific Operating Agreement (SOA) existing between RER and the FDEP, a response from RER is required within 30 days of submittal.
There are two fees (FDEP & Miami-Dade County) that need to be paid for this permit by means of two separate checks. Both checks should be made payable to Miami-Dade County.
- The permit is valid for five years.
For more information, please contact the Water and Wastewater Engineering Section at 786-315-2800.
- View the FDEP Domestic Wastewater Collection and Transmission System Construction
- View the Miami-Dade County Utility Collection and Transmission Capacity Certification
Upon completion of construction of the project, the wastewater collection system shall not be placed into service until Miami-Dade County has received, reviewed and approved the completely executed forms:
- FDEP request for approval to place a domestic wastewater collection/transmission system into operation
- Miami-Dade County domestic wastewater collection/transmission system certification of completion of construction
Meetings and announcements
Notice on permit reviews
Effective Jan. 22, 2013, Sewer Extension Permits will be reviewed at the Overtown Transit Village (OTV) office located at: 701 NW 1st Court, 7th Floor. Any new applications, documents or plans submitted at the Permitting & Inspection Center will be forwarded to the OTV office via interoffice mail. For more information, call 305-372-6600.
Sanitary Sewer System Capacity Certification presentation
The Department on October 12, 2012, conducted a presentation for design professionals on Sanitary Sewer System Capacity Certification. For more information, call 786-315-2800.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.