At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Low Income Energy Assistance
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides assistance to low-income individuals and families who are experiencing financial difficulty with paying their electric and gas utility bills. Fact Sheets in English and Spanish
Eligible applicants will receive a credit payment which would be applied to their existing utility bill. The program is funded through the Florida Department of Community Affairs Division of Housing and Community Development, and provides assistance to over 50,000 households annually. LIHEAP provides assistance in three categories, which include:
- Regular Energy Assistance- designed to assist eligible participants with the ever increasing cost of their home energy expense. The program provides a credit payment ranging from $150 - $300 dollars to be applied to their existing utility account. Regular Energy Assistance is restricted to once a year; eligible participants must continue to pay their utility bill awaiting the credit payment to apply to their account balance.
- Crisis Energy Assistance- provides assistance to eligible households in resolving a home energy emergency/crisis. Participants having received a final notice or disconnection of services are eligible to receive assistance in this category. Eligible participants may receive a credit payment up to $600.00 to be applied to their existing utility account. Participants are permitted to apply twice annually during the winter and summer seasons for the Crisis Energy Assistance.
- Weather-Related Crisis- assists eligible households to resolve a home energy emergency caused by a specific weather related disaster as declared by the Governor.
Eligibility for these programs requires the household income not to exceed 150% of the U.S. Poverty Guidelines.
Regular and Crisis Energy Assistance programs are administered throughout the year as funding is available.
Back to Top
Please return your completed LIHEAP application to a Service Center along with the following:
- The original and photo copy of energy bill
- Photo copy of Social Security Cards for all household members
- Photo copy of Applicants' identification (Driver's License, FL ID or Voter Registration Card)
- Photo copy of proof of income for every member of the household for the prior month
- Proof of Income: Consecutive pay stubs, weekly (4-pay stubs), bi-weekly (2-pay stubs) if paid monthly (1-pay stub) Letter from employer on company letterhead indicating gross income for the prior month or current income tax return
- Income Award Letter(s):
- SSA., SSI, VA, Pension, Welfare/TANF
- Child Support/Alimony
- Self Employed Income or Financial Support from Friends or Relatives
- (Income Self Declaration Form provided at our Service Centers)
- Proof of Assistance:
- Food Stamps
- Weatherization Assistance Program
- Community Services Block Grant Program
Service Centers WILL NOT provide photo copies of required documentation.Back to Top
LIHEAP guidelines require household income to determine participants eligibility.
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
Poverty Income Guidelines*
Effective April 1, 2016
People in the Household - 150%
1 - $ 17,820
2 - $ 24,060
3 - $ 30,300
4 - $ 36,540
5 - $ 42,780
6 - $ 49,020
7 - $ 55.260
8 - $ 61,500
Add $ 6,240 for each additional person in a household of more than 8 people
*Figures are based on the 2016 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) poverty guidelines published in the Federal Register on January 25, 2016.
Back to Top
Crisis applications are accepted year-round.
Applications are posted online and are also available at CAHSD Service Centers listed below. Completed applications must be returned to the Service Centers, along with the required documentation to determine proof of eligibility.
Community Action and Human Services has an established partnership with Florida Power & Light as well as other community organizations to provide assistance with Home Energy related issues.
All Service Centers will be distributing and accepting completed applications during the following weeks: May 2-6; May 16-20; May 31-June 3; June 13-17; and June 27-July 1. Applications will be accepted from the hours of 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Hialeah and Accion will only accept applications from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.).Back to Top
Accion Service Center
970 SW 1st Street, 3rd & 4th Floor, Miami, FL 33128
Culmer Service Center
1600 NW 3rd Avenue, Miami, FL 33136
Edison Service Center
150 NW 79th Street, Miami, FL 33150
Florida City/Homestead Service Center
1600 NW 6th Court, Florida City, FL 33034
Franklin Shannon Rolle Service Center
3750 South Dixie Highway, Miami, FL 33133
Hialeah Service Center
300 E. First Avenue, Hialeah, FL 33010
Joseph Caleb Service Center (Emergency Housing North)
2301 NW 54th Street, Miami, FL 33142
*Liberty City Community Enrichment Center
6100 NW 7th Avenue, Miami, FL 33127
Miami Gardens Service Center
16430 NW 25th Avenue, Rm. 105, Miami Gardens, FL 33054
*Naranja Service Center
13955 SW 264th Street, Naranja, FL 33032
Perrine Service Center
17801 Homestead Avenue, Miami, FL 33157
*South Beach Service Center
833 Sixth Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139
Sweetwater Service Center
250 SW 114th Avenue, Miami, FL 3314
Wynwood Service Center
2902 NW 2nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33127
*These Service Centers will ONLY be distributing and processing Regular Energy applications.Back to Top
For additional information regarding the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), contact us at 786-469-4640.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:35:50 AM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.