Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Portal will be undergoing maintenance starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, May 3 and for all of Sunday, May 4. Intermittent outages may be experienced. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our online services.
If you see something suspicious, immediately call Transit Watch at 305-375-2700. All reports are kept confidential. Call 911 for fire and other emergencies.
Let's count on each other for a safe ride
Although Homeland Security lowered the threat to transit systems from high to elevated, Miami-Dade Transit still needs your help. If you see a suspicious package or strange activity in, on, or near a bus, a Metrorail or Metromover train, a bus stop, a rail station, or any transit property, please notify the bus operator, station security officer, or any transit official as quickly as possible.
Be our eyes and ears
No public service agency can effectively protect life and property without the support of the public. Crime has decreased significantly on the Miami-Dade Transit system, because criminal behavior is targeted - not individuals.
Become a Transit watcher
People just like you act as the eyes and ears of our system and always check their immediate surroundings for activity which may require police intervention.
- Be alert and aware of everyday activities on your transit system.
- Get your family, friends and neighbors involved.
- Get to know law-enforcement and transit-security officers.
- If you observe suspicious activity, try not to let personal feelings get in the way when you see suspicious activity. Look at the entire situation before making a judgment.
- Watch for non-verbal signs.
- Do not become personally involved.
Keep in mind these points
- Do not take direct action.
- Do not confront the individual.
- Do not reveal your suspicions.
- Do record as many details as possible.
- Do notify the appropriate authorities as soon as possible.
Describing suspicious behavior
- When describing suspicious activity, remember to be accurate and specific.
- Who did you observe?
- What did you see?
- Where did you see it?
- When did you see it?
- Why is it suspicious?
Describing a suspicious person
Report the following when giving a description of a suspicious person:
- Sex/Race/Age - approximately
- Height - in 2-inch blocks, such as 5 feet 4 inches, 6 feet 2 inches
- Weight - in 10 pound blocks, such as 170 lbs., 180 lbs.
- Build - medium, heavy set, thin, etc.
- Hair - color, length, and facial hair, if any
- Complexion - light, dark, ruddy, olive
- Peculiarities - scars, tattoos, missing limbs
- Clothing - from head to toe, style, defects
- Weapons - type, size
- Method of escape - direction of travel, type of vehicle, etc.
If a vehicle is involved
An accurate description of a vehicle can determine how soon a suspicious individual is found and apprehended.
The following information would be helpful:
- License plate number - most important
- Make - model, color, year
- Body type - 2-door, 4-door, van, SUV, etc.
- Passengers - number of people in vehicle
- Damage - anything unusual, logos, etc.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.