Group Home Unit
A dwelling unit licensed by the State of Florida Department of Children and Family Services which serves resident clients and which provides a living environment for not more than 6 unrelated residents who operate as a functional equivalent of a family.
What is a Group Home? A dwelling unit licensed by the State of Florida (State) to serve resident clients and which provides a living environment for not more than 6 unrelated residents who operate as a functional equivalent of a family. Supervisory and supportive staff as may be necessary to meet the physical, emotional and social needs of the resident clients shall be excluded in said count (Miami-Dade County Zoning Code, Section 33-1[53.1])*.
A group home shall be permitted in a dwelling unit provided:
- That the total number of resident clients on the premises not exceeds 6 in number.
- That the operation of the facility be licensed by the State and a Zoning Improvement Permit (ZIP) be obtained from the Regulatory & Economic Resources Department.
- That the structure used for a group home shall be located at least 1,000 feet from another existing, unabandoned legally established group home.
How do I obtain a license and a Zoning Improvement Permit (ZIP) for a Group Home?
- You will need to request in writing a zoning verification letter from the Regulatory & Economic Resources Department located at 111 NW 1st Street, 11th Floor. For further information, including the appropriate fee, call (305) 375-2800.
- If the zoning verification letter indicates that there are no existing group homes within 1,000 feet of the subject property, then you may apply for a ZIP at the Permitting and Inspection Center located at 11805 SW 26th Street. For further information, call (786) 315-2650.
- Complete the ZIP application form (green, not the yellow form) and attach spacing verification letter. The ZIP category for a group home is 0019. Submit application at the Permitting and Inspection Center located at 11805 SW 26 Street (Coral Way), windows 9-18. A process number will be assigned once application is accepted.
- The Departments of Regulatory & Economic Resources Department and Fire will conduct a zoning and fire inspection, respectively, to verify if the site complies with all zoning and fire prevention requirements. If the inspection is approved, you will be issued a ZIP.
- However, if the zoning verification letter indicates that the subject property is within 1,000 feet of another existing, unabandoned, legally established group home, then you may seek to obtain approval as a special exception after public hearing by submitting an application to the Zoning Hearings Section located at 111 NW 1st Street, 11th Floor. For further information, call (305) 375-2800.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.