Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
Home Office District
The home office shall not exceed 200 sf. of the living area of the home, including garages.
Can I operate a business out of my home?
Yes, a home office is designed for and operated as a home occupation/office location in a dwelling unit, and carried on by a person residing in the dwelling unit involving only written correspondence, telephones, computers, or other common office equipment and which is clearly ancillary and secondary to the use of the dwelling unit for residential purposes. The incidental taking of office work home and completing same, by a person having a business address other than the residence shall not constitute a home office and shall continue to be permitted in conjunction with a residential use. An office use ancillary to a permitted, bona-fide agricultural use shall not constitute a home office.
A home office is permitted as an ancillary use to all lawful residential uses subject to the following limitations:
- The home office shall not exceed 200 square feet of the living area of the home, including garages. More than one home office is permitted in a home provided that the combined total square footage does not exceed the 200 square foot limitation and that these home offices comply with all other requirements.
- The home office cannot be located in an accessory building or other detached structure.
- No sign pertaining to the home office may be posted or displayed on the site; no vehicle may be parked on-site displaying such a sign.
- No customer, client, vendee, supplier or other patron shall be served in person at the home office, except for customary residential deliveries.
- No display or manufacturing is permitted; no repair of any type of materials, merchandise or other products is permitted; storage of items for distribution is confined to the home office area.
- No change in the outside residential character of the building or premises is permitted as a result of the home office use.
- The home office use must be conducted by a member of the household residing in the dwelling unit; no person shall be employed at any time in connection with the home office use who is not a member of the household residing in the dwelling unit except that a disabled individual may employ a personal care attendant as necessary to accommodate a home office use on the site by such individual.
- An annually renewable certificate of use shall be obtained for any home office.
- No variance shall be granted to these provisions pursuant to Section 33-25.1(B).
(From Miami-Dade County Zoning Code, Section 33-25.1)
The regulations contained herein are general in nature and are subject to change as deemed necessary by the Board of County Commissioners. It is advisable to contact the Regulatory & Economic Resources Department at (305) 375-2800 to ascertain whether more restrictive regulations may apply to specific developments.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.