IU-1 - Industrial, Light Manufacturing District
This District Permits:
- Light Industrial Manufacturing
- Wholesale Distribution Facilities
- Storage Facilities
What is Zoning? Zoning controls the use and development of land and buildings for the health, welfare and safety of the community.
What is Setback? A setback is the required minimum horizontal distance between the front, sides, and rear of the lot to the building.
What is the maximum lot coverage permitted? There is no restriction on lot coverage in this zoning district except as it might be controlled by other specific requirements such as parking, setbacks and landscaping requirements.
Are retail uses permitted in this zone? Yes, with certain limitations. A percentage of the floor area may be devoted to retail sales if the item being retailed is either assembled, manufactured, or stored on the balance of the premises. Certain restrictions apply. For further information see Section 33-259(69) (a) and (b) of the Miami-Dade County code.
Can I have an electrically charged barbed wire fenced? Electrically charged fences are not permitted. However, a barbed wire fence is permitted so long as it has no more than 3 strands of barbed wire and is placed on top of a fence at least 6 feet in height.
Minimum Lot Area and Frontage: Minimum area of land shall be not less than 7,500 square feet, with a minimum frontage of 75 feet.
Landscape Open Space, Greenbelts, Maintenance
A minimum of 10% of the net lot area shall be developed as landscaped open space: 15% of the net lot area for an industrially zoned site that abuts residentially zoned or developed property. Greenbelts are required: 8 feet wide for lots up to 3 acres; 10 feet wide for lots of more than 3 acres. All landscaped areas must be provided with sprinkler systems. Landscaping and trees shall be provided in accordance with Chapter 18A of the Miami-Dade County Code.
No building in this district shall be of height greater than the width of the widest street upon which such building abuts.
Off Street Parking
See Section 33-124 of the Miami-Dade County Zoning Code for specific parking requirements.
Fences, Walls and Hedges*
Chain link: height 8 feet; walls and hedges: maximum 4 feet within the required front or side street setbacks, height 8 feet at all other points.
- 20 feet for buildings not exceeding 35 feet in height
- 15 feet, except where an RU or EU lot abuts the IU lot, then the side street setback shall be 25 feet on any part of the commercial structure located within 25 feet of the residential district boundary
- 0 feet where the adjacent property is zoned BU or IU and where the use of the building is limited exclusively to business/industrial use
- 5 feet where there are any openings provided in the wall
- 10 feet for such portions of the business structures as are devoted to residential use
- 15 feet where the adjacent property is zoned RU or EU
- 20 feet, accessory building setbacks shall be the same as principal building setbacks
- 0 feet from business or industrial district boundary where no openings are proposed in wall of structure adjacent to rear lot line
- 5 feet from business or industrial district boundary, where any openings are provided in wall of structure adjacent to rear lot line
- 20 feet from residential district boundary, except that credit shall be given for full width of dedicated alleys
* In certain instances, the height of said wall or hedge may be limited to 2.5 feet for visibility at intersections or within 10 feet of either side of driveways.
The regulations contained herein are general in nature and are subject to change as deemed necessary by the Board of County Commissioners. It is advisable to contact Regulatory & Economic Resources Department at (305) 375-2800 to ascertain whether more restrictive regulations may apply to specific developments.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.