At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Zoning Hearing Process
Before the Hearing
- You will be advised by letter when your hearing is scheduled.
- Essential and timely information regarding zoning hearing requests for district boundary (zoning) changes, and other requests seeking relief from the regulations of the Miami-Dade County Zoning Code, will be sent to notify homeowners and property owners located within the required radius.
- Homeowners Associations in unincorporated Miami-Dade County can register to receive information regarding zoning hearing requests within their boundaries.
At the Hearing
- The Chair will call the meeting to order and general information and rules will be read into the record.
- When your item is called, you or your attorney (if you choose to hire one) will come forward and address the board.
- If others have come to speak in favor or to object to your hearing request, they will be given an opportunity to address the board, as well.
- You may be asked questions or wish to respond to issues brought up by objectors.
- Once all substantial competent evidence has been considered, the board will vote on your item and either approve it, deny it or approve it with modifications. Conditions will probably be imposed.
After the Hearing
- A Resolution is prepared. The Resolution is the official written result of the hearing and specifies what was requested by you and what was decided by the board.
Complying with the Resolution
- If approved, all conditions are spelled out in detail and must be met by you in order to begin using the property for what you requested. If you have any problems with the conditions imposed, you may wish to consider appealing the decision.
- If an Agreement or Covenant was proffered prior to the hearing, the Agreement must be recorded.
- If your hearing was due to illegal construction, you will have to obtain building permits for the construction and obtain final inspections and a Certificate of Use and Occupancy or Certificate of Completion to prove compliance.
- Of course, the same process is involved for proposed construction. Call 786-315-2000 or 305-271-1242 for the 24 hour Voice Response System.
- For information on obtaining a Certificate of Use & Occupancy or Certificate of Completion, call the Zoning Permit Section at 786-315-2660.
Zoning Agenda Coordinator’s Office
The Zoning Agenda Coordinator's Office (ZACO) is responsible for scheduling and advertising your zoning hearing before the Community Zoning Appeals Board (CZAB) or Board of County Commissioners (BCC). Their activities include creating meeting agendas, providing layman's ads that are published in local newspapers advertising your hearing date and time. They also compile kits which are distributed to board members. The kits contain all documentation related to your hearing along with the department recommendations and any protests or waivers that may have been submitted by the public. Prior to the hearing date, they also post a sign on the property that contains information about the hearing including the date, time and location the hearing is to be held.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.