As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
It is my honor and privilege to serve our community as Chair of the Miami-Dade County Asian American Advisory Board (AAAB) for 2016-2017. I thank our AAAB members, friends and organizations for their dedicated support in contributing to AAAB's primary goal of promoting Asian culture in our community.
Life in our Miami-Dade community has been enriched by Asians who have chosen to come and work here. We brought with us our heritage that contributes to the diversity in our community.
Asians have many reasons to be proud. All across America and around the world, individuals of Asian descent have consistently distinguished themselves in various disciplines such as business, academia, public and private sectors, science and arts. Asian Americans have helped advance prosperity, peace and innovation that the Americans enjoy today. There are countless Asian American success stories buoyed by the long standing American tradition of hard work, ingenuity and entrepreneurship.
AAAB's objectives can be summarized as follows:
- Bring Asian and non-Asian communities together
- Display fellow Americans about the wealth and depth of our Asian culture
- Inform about our contributions to the well-being of our community
- Foster relationships with our public officials
- Build coalitions with other community groups
- Eliminate misconceptions about Asian Americans
- Engage and support advocacy and community outreach programs
- Organize programs to recognize and appreciate outstanding Asian American community members
AAAB engages with the following community-based non-profit Asian organizations and more:
- NANAY providing a full community service institution helping the elderly and providing a wide range of community services.
- SAHARA helping the victims of domestic violence, providing mental health counseling, referral in legal services and helping victims gain independence.
- UHI Community Care Clinic providing free preventative healthcare to un-insured and poor in our community, regardless of race, sex or faith.
- NUR Center providing a safe house for women and children in distress, the victims of domestic violence, and human trafficking.
- APABA, Asian Pacific American Bar Association, dedicated to ensuring that the Asian Pacific American community is effectively represented in South Florida.
- COSMOS, Coalition of South Florida Muslim Organizations, keeping media engaged, responding to special needs and keeping media informed of Islam/Muslim related events and activities.
AAAB also supports the following Asian cultural events that not only displays the cultural richness of a very diverse Asian American community but also generates millions of dollars in economic activity:
- Asian Culture Festival
- Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month
- Chinese New Year Festival
- Dragon Boat Festival
Let us all work towards improving Miami-Dade County as a better place for our children as well as for ourselves and as a culturally enlightening community that welcomes all who come.
Thanks and Regards,
Mehmet Yasar Ulutas, PE
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.