As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
KIDS Miami Poster and Video Contests
About the Contest
Miami-Dade County elementary school students from kindergarten through fifth grade are invited to participate in the 10th Annual Every Drop Counts Kids Poster Contest! Using this year's theme, Conserve. Be Water Wise - It affects Our Lives!, students can express the benefits of water and energy conservation – and get a free T-shirt, with a chance to win other prizes!
Entries must be submitted no later than February 2, 2018 to:
Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department
Water Use Efficiency Section - Room 554-11
3071 SW 38 Avenue
Miami, Florida 33146
Students must follow these guidelines when designing their poster. Any poster not following these guidelines will be disqualified.
- Artwork must be original! Students are invited to use their talents to illustrate the importance of conserving water. Posters will be judged on creativity, relevance, legibility and adherence to guidelines. Posters containing computer-generated graphic, photographers, collages, 3-D artwork or trademarked art will be disqualified.
- Artwork must be drawn horizontally (landscape) on 11"X17" or smaller white poster paper only. Any entry that exceeds these dimensions will be disqualified!
- Students can use crayons, watercolors, poster paint, colored pencils, or magic markers to create the artwork. Reflective materials, i.e. glitter, gold stars, cotton balls, straw, magazine pictures or fabric glued to the art are prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- Must depict the 2018 theme Conserve: Be Water Wise-It Affects Our Lives!
- All entries must contain an official entry form. Part I is filled out by the Art Teacher and Part II is filled out signed and dated by the student's Parent or Guardian. The completed entry form must be securely taped to the back of the poster, with student name and school information facing outward.
- Artwork should not be folded when mailed/submitted.
- Any form not signed by the Parent/Guardian will be disqualified.
Poster submissions can be dropped off with a security guard at the Miami-Dade Water & Sewer Department's main office.
- For more information, visit Miami-Dade County Water Conservation.
The winning posters will be selected by a panel of judges, using the following criteria:
- Conservation Message (50 points) - Does the poster convey the theme's message clearly and link to the water and energy conservation subject?
- Visual Effectiveness (30 points) - How does the poster relay the message and does it require you to take action? Will you remember the poster next year? Is it neat and creative?
- Universal Appeal (10 points) - Regardless of age, language or educational level, everyone should be able to understand the message. Does it appeal to the general population or a large audience?
- Originality (10 points) - Artistic Expression. The maximum number of points a poster can receive is 100 points.
Back to Top
Winning entries will be displayed during Water Conservation month, April 2018. One winning entry will be selected from each Commission District and all entries will receive an Every Drop Counts t-shirt. The winning entries will be featured in the 2019 Every Drop Counts Calendar and the winning students will be recognized with a prize package at a meeting of the Miami-Dade County Board of County Commissioners.
- Check out last years posted in the Water Conservation Photo Gallery.
All students who submit an entry will receive a D-Rop t-shirt in recognition of their participation in the project.Back to Top
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.