Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
- In partnership with Miami-Dade County Association of Chiefs of Police and the Office of the State Attorney, the JSD implemented a countywide Civil Citation Initiative that reforms the protocol on how police and the community address juvenile first-time misdemeanor offenders. All eligible juveniles will be referred to the same evidence-based, customized, and proven services available to arrested youth, without the arrest. Since the program's inception in April 2007, there have been over 13,000 citations as of April 2013.
- The JSD has reduced juvenile arrests 67% between 1998 and 2012 and the juvenile detention population from 300 a day to just under 70 per day.
- The Department has generated a $33 million dollar gross systemic savings each year, and a $20.2 million dollar net savings each year. View Full Report from the Miami-Dade County Office of Budget Management.
- The Civil Citation Program addresses the disproportionate minority contact issue by providing services to its 95% minority population.
- Deemed a National Juvenile Justice Model by the White House Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention in 2008.
- The JSD has received an unprecedented seven congressional earmarks totaling $4.4 million.
- The JSD implemented a research-based process to continue to impact the re-offense rate by developing an age-specific protocol to serve young offenders (12 years old and under). The explicit goal of the Young Offenders Process (YOP) is to provide a coordinated system of service delivery for young offenders that is sensitive to their unique developmental needs and that reduces their risk for re-offending.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.