Juvenile Curfew Ordinance
The Miami-Dade Police Department enforces the Miami-Dade Juvenile Curfew Ordinance. This helps reduce overnight crime and provide for the care, safety and protection of juveniles and other Miami-Dade County residents.
What is the Juvenile Curfew Ordinance?
The ordinance makes it unlawful for any person under the age of 17 to linger, stay, congregate, move about, wander or stroll in any public place in Miami-Dade County, either on foot or in a vehicle during curfew hours. It is the responsibility of parents and legal guardians to ensure their children comply with the curfew.
What are the curfew hours?
From Sunday night to Friday morning, the curfew applies between the hours of 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. From Friday evening to Sunday morning, the curfew applies between midnight and 6 a.m.
A juvenile under the age of 17 is legitimately exempted from the restrictions of the Miami-Dade County Juvenile Curfew Ordinance if the juvenile:
- Is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, or by someone 21 years of age or older who has permission to be responsible for the juvenile
- Is working, or traveling to or from work
- Is traveling interstate
- Has written permission from a parent or guardian to run an errand
- Is aiding or assisting in an emergency
- Is traveling to or from a school, religious, civic or county-sponsored event
- Is emancipated by marriage or court order
- Is homeless
- Is exercising First Amendment rights
- Is on the property of his/her residence, or a neighbor's residence if the neighbor does not object
- Is attending or returning from a public event which began before 10 p.m. and has written permission
- Is authorized by the County Commission
What happens when a juvenile does not comply with the ordinance?
A law enforcement officer shall stop the apparent juvenile and ask their age, reason for being out during curfew hours, and verify that information with their parent or legal guardian. If out without cause, the juvenile will be taken into custody and transported home, to a police station or other appropriate holding facility where a curfew violation citation will be issued and a parent or guardian notified. If the juvenile is cited three or more times for not complying with the ordinance, the parent or legal guardian of the juvenile will receive a notice to appear and may be punished by a fine of up to $500.
For additional information, please download our ordinance brochure.
Read the full Miami-Dade Juvenile Curfew Ordinance.