As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Urban Expansion Area Task Force
The purpose of the Urban Expansion Area Task Force is to provide recommendations for consideration by the Planning Advisory Board and Board of County Commissioners on the following topics:
- Changes to the current boundaries of the Urban Expansion Areas;
- Creation of new Urban Expansion Areas; and
- Changes to the criteria that should be considered for applications requesting expansion of the UDB.
The recommendations of the UEA Task Force will inform the County’s review and update of the Comprehensive Development Master Plan (CDMP) known as the Evaluation and Appraisal Report (EAR), which the County is required by state law to undertake every seven years.
The Evaluation and Appraisal Report includes an evaluation of the progress the County has made in implementing the CDMP and also recommends changes to the CDMP. Created by Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez in May of 2017, the UEA Task Force affords an opportunity to review the County’s Urban Expansion Area locations and policies in a comprehensive manner, together with other related policies.
Urban Expansion Area
The County’s Comprehensive Development Master Plan (CDMP) Future Land Use Plan Map currently designates four Urban Expansion Areas (UEA) located outside of the Urban Development Boundary which separates the area where urban growth can occur from the area where it should not. The UEA represent areas where the Board of County Commissioners may authorize urban expansion if certain criteria in the Land Use Element are met, and if there is a demonstrated need for urban development to occur beyond the Urban Development Boundary.
The Task Force will hear presentations from subject matter experts and receive public comments on key topics on:
October 30, 2017 at 1:00 p.m. - Environmental Considerations Input Session
South Dade Regional Library
10750 SW 211 St, Cutler Bay, FL 33189
Additional input sessions will be scheduled at a later date addressing development, transportation, limestone mining and housing affordability. Please check back for updates.
October 16, 2017 Meeting – Agricultural Considerations Input Session
August 28, 2017 Meeting
Task Force Membership: The Task Force includes a representative from the following organizations:
- 1000 Friends of Florida
- Tropical Audubon Society
- Urban Environment League
- Nova Southeastern Shepard Broad Law Center
- Sierra Club
- Agricultural Practices Advisory Board
- Redland Citizens Association
- Rock mining representative
- Builders Association of South Florida
- Latin Builders Association
- Florida East Coast Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.
- Florida Home Builders Association
- Homestead Air Reserve Base Representative
- Property Owners’ Representative – Eastern Urban Expansion Area
- Property Owners’ Representative – Western Urban Expansion Area
- Community Council 11
- Community Council 14
- Community Council 15
- Florida Nursery Growers & Landscape Association
- Tropical Fruit Growers of South Florida
- Dade County Farm Bureau
- Latin American Business Association
- Biscayne National Park
- Everglades National Park
- Urban Land Institute (Southeast Florida/Caribbean Chapter)
- Friends of the Everglades
- Miccosukee Tribe of Florida
The first meeting took place on Monday, August 28, 2017 at the South Dade Regional Library, see documents below:Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:38:34 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.