As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Rain Barrels and Workshops
Attend a rain barrel workshop, and learn how you can capture and store rain water that can later be used to irrigate your landscape and water plants.
View upcoming workshops and register to participate! Workshops are coordinated by the Miami-Dade County Cooperative Extension Service. Visit their website to learn about the Florida Yards & Neighborhoods Program (FYN) and Florida Friendly Landscaping for a beautiful, sustainable, water efficient yard.
RSVP to attend a free workshop. Buying a rain barrel costs $40.
By installing a rain barrel you'll not only help reduce pollution, but you'll also have a supply of free non-chlorinated Ph-neutral water for watering your prize orchids, potted plants and much more.
- Water plants with warm water in a barrel reduces shock and damping off to transplants.
- Collecting rainwater in a barrel directs moisture away from building foundations.
- A full barrel will provide water to 240 square feet of garden space - the equivalent of a 1-cm rain shower.
- A rain barrel will save most homeowners about 1,300 gallons of water during the peak summer months.
- Connecting a soaker hose to your barrel is a great way to water shallow-rooted plants. It takes about 8 to 10 hours to empty a barrel this way.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.