Skip Navigation
Where am I? »

Managing Your Transition

Talk to your family

Talk to your family about the situation: Let family members know what decisions must be made.  Talk out your problems and plan together. Your spouse and children may feel as helpless as you do.

File for unemployment benefits

File for unemployment benefits. Take your social security card to the unemployment office nearest your home as soon as possible.  They will help you file your claim.  There is a waiting period between the time you apply for unemployment benefits and the time your check begins, you may be eligible for public assistance.  Also, if you are not eligible for unemployment benefits or if our unemployment benefits run out before you find another job, you may be able to get public assistance.

Consider your health insurance options

Examine your health insurance policies. Chances are you were insured under your former employer’s group health plan.  If you were, the Comprehensive Omnibus Budget Resolution Act (COBRA) of 1985 provides you the opportunity to continue group health insurance for up to 18 months after you have been laid off. You will need to apply for this and pay the premiums.  However, you have 18 months to find a new carrier.

Get information from the U.S. Department of Labor about retirement and health care coverage for dislocated workers.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Oct 4, 2011 9:45:41 AM
Switch to mobile version.

© 2019 Miami-Dade County.
All rights reserved.
Miami-Dade County
Urchin Tracking Image
  • Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS
  • Print Email Page   | Bookmark and Share
  • Minimize Tools

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.