Enjoy a great day by the Bay at the Baynanza Biscayne Bay Cleanup Day on Saturday, April 26.
Join thousands of volunteers and help clean of one of our most precious natural resources: Biscayne Bay. Baynanza takes place from 9 a.m. to noon, with boat captain volunteers gathering by 8 a.m.
Free T-shirts and community service hours are available for all participants.
Boat captains are needed and event sponsors are also welcome.
For more information, call 305-372-6784.
- Baynanza Volunteer Information
- Event Registration & Cleanup Sites
- Boat Captains
- Full Calendar of Events
- What to Bring
Event Registration & Cleanup Sites
Registration for all 23 Baynanza cleanup sites will be on a first-come, first-served basis, so register now!
At five of the 23 locations, volunteers will be transported on boats to nearby islands in Biscayne Bay to clean up the Bay. Some locations are also kayak friendly.Back to Top
Boat owners: Enjoy a day on the Bay and become eligible to win an annual Boat Ramp Pass good at Miami-Dade County Marinas!
Register your boat and participate as a Boat Captain in the Baynanza 2014 Biscayne Bay Cleanup Day) and you will automatically qualify for a chance to win an annual *Boat Ramp Pass good at any Miami-Dade Park Marina. Register as a Boat Captain by April 4th to be eligible to win.
Volunteer Boat Captains and their First Mates will receive a special long-sleeve 2014 Baynanza T-shirt for participating. Water is provided and additional life vests available.
Boat Captains will transfer volunteers from five designated locations to nearby islands in Biscayne Bay. These islands accumulate trash and debris throughout the year. Boats will not transport trash, only volunteers.
The five locations are:
- FIU North Biscayne Bay Campus
3000 NE 151st Street, North Miami (Building: Roz and Cal Kovens Conference Center)
- Pelican Harbor Marina
1275 NE 79th Street, Miami
- Morningside Park
750 NE 55th Terrace, Miami
- Maurice Gibb Park: Monument and Teacher's Island
18th Street and Purdy Avenue, Miami Beach
- Shake-a-Leg Miami
2620 S. Bayshore Drive, Miami
Safety is a priority, so alcoholic beverages are not permitted during the event.
*Two Boat Ramp Passes, each worth $160, will be randomly selected among eligible boat captains who participate in the cleanup event on April 26. The drawing will be held by May 20 and winners will be notified by May 31. Ramp passes are not transferable. Passes are good for one year and need to be claimed in person by June 30, 2014. First place and second place winners will each receive one annual Ramp Pass.Back to Top
Full Calendar of Events
Baynanza’s 32nd anniversary is just around the corner! Events begin in March and culminate with the Biscayne Bay Cleanup Day on April 26.
There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer over this six-week period.Back to Top
What to Bring
Volunteer T-shirts and trash bags will be provided. (Volunteers who register after April 4th may not receive their preferred T-shirt size at their site.)
In addition to work gloves and closed-toe shoes (tennis shoes), volunteers are recommended to bring the following:
- Extra water
- Mosquito repellent
- Hat or visor
New and exciting Baynanza sponsorship opportunities are being offered for the 32nd anniversary celebration of Baynanza.
Sponsorship packages offer wide exposure at a unique countywide celebration featuring thousands of participants committed to the positive cause of helping our environment.
- Six weeks of exposure at more than 35 events across Miami-Dade County
- Advertisements and media coverage in multilingual formats, including print, radio and web advertising, starting in mid-February
- Online presence and promotion on the Miami-Dade County website and social media channels including Facebook and Twitter
- Promotion on the Baynanza Calendar of Events and commemorative T-shirt
- Become a special host at the Baynanza VIP Cleanup Site and promote your core messages in a festive atmosphere to hundreds of community volunteers and their friends and families
Special sponsorship packages can also be catered to meet your marketing goals and fit your budget. In-kind sponsorships are also available.
For more information on sponsorship opportunities, call Luis Espinoza at 305-372-6770 or email email@example.com.Back to Top
A big thanks to Baynanza 2014 sponsors.
- Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserves (FDEP)
- Carnival Cruise Lines
- Covanta Energy
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Florida Inland Navigation District
- Florida Power & Light
- Pollo Tropical
- Radio Caracol
- Sailboards Miami
- Viceroy Miami
- Waste Pro
Event hosts and partners
A special thanks goes out to the Baynanza 2014 sponsors.
- Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserves - FDEP
- Biscayne National Park
- City of Homestead
- City of Miami
- City of Miami Beach
- Coral Reef Conservation Program - FDEP
- Dade Chapter Florida Native Plant Society
- Deering Estate at Cutler
- Dream in Green
- Earth Learning
- Environmental Coalition of Miami and the Beaches
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Fantasy Theatre Factory
- Florida Department of Transportation
- Florida International University
- Florida Trail Association
- Girl Scouts Council of Tropical Florida
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas Biscayne Nature Center
- University of Florida / Miami-Dade County Extension - Florida Yards & Neighborhood Program
- Miami-Dade County Community Information and Outreach
- Miami-Dade County Environmentally Endangered Lands Program
- Miami-Dade County Internal Services
- Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces
- Miami-Dade County Public Works and Waste Management
- Miami River Commission
- Palmetto Bay Village Center
- Sailboards Miami Water Sports
- South Florida Water Management District
- Town of Surfside
- Tropical Audubon Society
- Village of Key Biscayne
2014 Commemorative T-shirt
Volunteers will receive a free commemorative T-shirt* made from "Ecospun" recycled plastic (polyester fiber) and cotton. This unique process used to produce our commemorative short-sleeve shirts is another example of Baynanza helping to reduce and reuse.
The T-shirt was selected from thousands of entries from Miami-Dade County students who participated in the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Challenge. This year's T-shirt is based on the winning design by Sofia Flores, a 5th grade student from Royal Green Elementary.
We would like to recognize the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden staff for organizing and hosting the Baynanza 2014 T-shirt design contest.
*T-shirts are available for registered Cleanup Day volunteers at each site (adult sizes only; size preference subject to availability). Recycled plastic fiber is used only on the short-sleeve shirts. Long-sleeved shirts are made out of 50% cotton and 50% polyester.
The winning drawing for the T-shirt design
The early 1980s marked the beginning of a monumental effort by Miami-Dade County to save Biscayne Bay. The Bay was suffering from pollution and the marine environment of the Bay was in steep decline. Baynanza was created as part of a larger effort to save the bay.
Baynanza is a celebration of Biscayne Bay and its significance as one of our most important ecological systems in South Florida. While Baynanza includes more than 35 great events throughout March and April, the event that has become nearly synonymous with this celebration is the Biscayne Bay Cleanup Day.
In April 2013, this community event drew more than 5,800 volunteers, who collectively removed more than 40 tons of garbage from our shores!Back to Top
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.