Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
Projects that Protect
Mitigation is a way to lessen the impact of a disaster on a community through preparedness, structural hardening and infrastructure projects. Your membership in the Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Workgroup is your gateway to mitigation funding.
- For every dollar invested it is estimated you save $4 in potential losses
- May protect your loved ones, homes and businesses from harm
- Helps a community recover more quickly from a disaster
How we help local communities with mitigation
- Miami-Dade Office of Emergency Management runs the Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Workgroup that meets quarterly.
- Provide updates and information on mitigation topics through meetings and email
- Maintains and updates the Local Mitigation Strategy plan that is approved by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Maintains a list of projects that may become eligible for mitigation or other grant funding
- Coordinates with local communities that participate in the Community Rating System program to save people money on flood insurance
- Coordinates with the State and FEMA after a disaster to get federal funding to help communities rebuild stronger
- Community Action and Human Services offer programs to assist eligible homeowners
- Paint and Hurricane Shutter Program
- Weatherization projects
How can you mitigate?
- Make a plan
- Assess your risks to determine what you/your residence may be vulnerable to (e.g flooding, storm surge from hurricanes, high winds, power outages)
- Buy insurance to help protect yourself financially if a disaster hits
- Protect your windows and doors from high winds (e.g. storm shutters, impact windows/doors)
- Have tie down straps installed in your roof
- If you do need to evacuate know where you plan to go, how you will get there and what you need to take.
- Federal Alliance for Safe Homes offers tips on how to Protect your Home and How to Be Prepared.
For more information or to ask questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-468-5400 and ask for the Mitigation Planner.
Next LMS Quarterly Meeting
September 21, 2016
9:30 a.m - 11:30 a.m.
The public is welcome to attend.
LMS Information Bulletin
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.