At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Apply for Subsidized Rental Housing
Because there are so many families who need affordable rental housing, the fairest way for housing authorities to select families is through a waiting list. Currently, registration is closed.
Applicants for Miami-Dade County's subsidized rental housing programs are placed on a ranked waiting list compiled using a computerized random selection system. There is a single online application available only during an open registration period determined by the agency for project-based units (Public Housing, Moderate Rehabilitation and Section 8 New Construction) and tenant-based units (Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher ).
Please visit the Waiting List page for more information or to apply during open registration.
Open registration for the current Waiting List is now closed. Registration information will be updated here and published, at minimum, in each of the following newspapers:
- The Miami Herald, the largest paper of daily general circulation.
- The Miami Times, the paper with the largest circulation among African-Americans.
- Diario Las Americas, a Spanish publication.
- Haiti en Marche "or Le Floridien", Haitian publications.
During open registration, applicants are screened at an interview and are required to provide documentation that will be used to determine eligibility.
Public Housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. Some of the factors used in determining an applicant's eligibility include:
- Annual gross income (low income is considered 80% of the median income for Miami-Dade County.);
- Whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and
- Immigration status: applicants must either be U.S. citizens or have eligible immigration status.
Additionally, in Miami-Dade County:
- at least 40% of new admissions must be extremely low-income (30% of area median income or below);
- the remaining 60% of new admissions can be up to the low-income level (80% of the area median income).
Project-based Public Housing programs are not transferable from state to state.Back to Top
If your ranking number is selected from the waiting list you will be required to meet the eligibility requirements and bring the documentation listed below. Your interview will determine whether you are eligible for housing assistance.
If a household member with a disability needs reasonable accommodation a Reasonable Accommodation Request form can be submitted to PHCD. Additional documentation may be required to support the reasonable accommodation request(s).Back to Top
For a housing eligibility Interview at the Applicant and Leasing Center, please bring the following:
- Picture ID, such as a driver’s license
- Social security cards for all persons appearing on the application
- Medicare and/or Medicaid cards
- Proof of age and other documents related to family or household make-up including birth certificates, divorce and custody papers, citizenship, immigration papers, etc.
- Proof of all income, including letter from Social Security, Veteran’s Administration, pensions, employment, and child support payments. The verification of Social Security benefits must be requested prior to the applicant’s scheduled appointment.
- Proof of assets such as bank accounts, life insurance policies, etc.
- Your doctor’s name, address, and telephone number
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of at least two people to contact in case of emergency
- Your last three landlords’ names, addresses, and telephone numbers and copies of your last three utility bills
- Verification of child care expenses
- Verification of full-time student status for dependents over 17 years of age and record of attendance for all school-age children
- If the head of household or spouse is over 62 years old or over, or a person with disabilities, you may bring verification of medical expenses or anticipated expenses such as, health insurance payments, on-going prescriptions, doctor’s visits, payback agreements on hospital bills, etc.
If accepted for a preliminary interview, you will be required to fill out theBack to Top
If you have been denied housing and would like to exercise your right to an informal review, you must submit the
Submittal instructions are included inside the form.Back to Top
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.