At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Infill Housing Homebuyer Requirements
The Infill Housing Program's main goal is to increase the availability of affordable homes for very-low, low- and moderate-income families. Other goals include:
- Maintaining a stock of affordable housing;
- Redeveloping urban neighborhoods by eliminating the blight of vacant, dilapidated or abandoned properties;
- Equitably distributing homeownership opportunities within the Infill Target Areas;
- Generating payment of ad valorem taxes.
- First-time homebuyer
- Homeownership Counseling Providers
- Qualified Lenders
- Income verification
- Affordability control
- ADA/Florida Access Code
- Purchasing a home
- Pre-Sale of homes to be built by Infill Developers
- Hold Harmless Affidavit
- Resale and Refinance Process (see Exhibit G)
- Notice of Sale or Refinance
Every dwelling unit developed through the Infill Housing Program must be sold to a very-low, low- or moderate-income household to be used as their primary residence. A household is deemed qualified once they have met the following requirements.Back to Top
The eligible household must be a first-time homebuyer. A first-time homebuyer is an individual who meets any one of the following criteria:
- An individual who has had no ownership interest in a principal residence during the three-year period ending on the date of purchase of the property. This includes a spouse (if either meets the above test, they are considered first-time homebuyers);
- A single parent who has only owned a home with a former spouse while married;
- An individual who is a displaced homemaker and has only owned with a spouse;
- An individual who has only owned a principal residence not permanently affixed to a permanent foundation in accordance with applicable regulations.
Interested first-time homebuyers should take the following steps:
- Register for a homeownership training course through a participating homeownership counseling provider. You may ask the counselor whether or not you have sufficient credit to pursue the goal of owning a home. Also, you may request information on ways to improve your credit score, and if there are issues that need to be resolved prior to going to the next step.
- Apply to a County approved lender for a first mortgage and to determine the family's capacity to borrow and to determine the affordable sales price of a new home. Infill home sales prices range up to $205,000 (private lots may be priced up to $215,000). If you decide to purchase a Habitat for Humanity of Greater Miami (Habitat) home, you are required to complete 'sweat equity' hours. Sweat equity hours consist of an average of 250 hours which are completed by helping build your home. The price range for a Habitat home is generally up to $175,000 (subject to change).
- Once the family is determined to be mortgage ready and the sales price is affordable, review the Pre-sale List of Infill Lot locations being developed for the Infill Program. Contact the developer listed for more information. Note: A sales contract is a legal document and the homebuyer is advised to have it reviewed by the homebuyer's legal advisor prior to execution. Note: It is not a requirement to be represented by a licensed Florida real estate agent in the purchase of your home; however, you may use the professional services of a real estate agent for the home-buying transaction, and they charge a commission for their services.
Homeownership Counseling Providers
The eligible household must complete a homeownership training course through a participating homeownership counseling providers that provides financial management, credit counseling and other related technical services to participating families.
This is done for the purpose of financing a single-family home.Back to Top
Public Housing and Community Development invites very-low, low- and moderate-income persons who are first-time homebuyers to apply for a mortgage loan subsidy through the County's loan program. Program participation is limited to one time only per family. A maximum 30-year fixed-interest mortgage is available for persons who qualify. You will also be required to obtain a first mortgage from an approved participating lender. See the list of Currently Approved LendersBack to Top
The eligible household must provide proof, in the form of a mortgage commitment letter, that they meet the income level requirements of a very-low, low- or moderate-income household.
- A very low-income household does not exceed 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI).
- A low-income household is defined as a household whose total annual income is 80% or below of the AMI.
- A moderate-income household is defined as a household whose total annual income is above 80% of AMI, but less than 140%.
Every home built through the Infill Housing Initiative must be sold to a qualified household at or below the maximum sales price set by the Program. At closing, the buyer is required to execute and record an Affordable Housing Restrictive Covenant , which states the home shall remain affordable for a minimum of 20 years (the "Control Period"); and, that if the owner desires to sell the home prior to the expiration of the "Control Period," the owner must:
- Notify the Infill Housing Program that the home is for sale; and,
- Sell the home to another qualified buyer at or below the maximum sales price as established in the covenant.
ADA/Florida Access CodeBack to Top
Purchasing a home
- See the list of infill homes currently for sale.
Pre-Sale of homes to be built by Infill Developers
- See the List of Infill Homes Locations. where infill homes are being developed, with the name and contact information of the developer. The list is subject to change.
Interested and qualified first-time homebuyers may contact the Infill Developer directly to inquire about the model home being planned for the location listed above. You may enter into a pre-sale contract if you qualify.Back to Top
Hold Harmless Affidavit
- Miami-Dade County (The County) and its employees, are not responsible for code violations, County liens and citations, and open permits, unless The County agrees to release County liens and citations in accordance with Infill Program Guidelines (Section XV). In addition, The County shall be held harmless for any construction defect found in the home after the sale.
- At closing, complete the Hold Harmless Affidavit on the Developer's letterhead. This Affidavit must be completed and executed by the Developer (Seller) and the Buyer (Qualified Household) at closing and returned to the Public Housing and Community Development Department (PHCD), Infill Housing Initiative Program, 701 NW 1 CT, FL 16, Miami, FL 33136. The County is not responsible for County liens and citations caused by the developer, open permits, and construction defects found in the home within 12 months of closing.
Notice of Sale or Refinance
- When the owner or any successor in title shall desire to re-finance, sell, dispose of or otherwise convey the property, the owner shall notify the County, in writing (Notice of Sale) of the owner's intent. The "Notice of Sale" shall be sent to Public Housing and Community Development Department, Infill Housing Program, 701 NW 1 Court, 16th Floor, Miami, FL 33136. The County shall determine the maximum resale price which the owner may receive for the sale of the property as indicated below:
- The resale price shall be calculated by multipling the original home's resale price multiplier by the current HUD Area Median Income for Miami-Dade County. (You may contact the Deparment to obtain the current median income.), plus any Capital Improvements (as defined in the Infill Housing Program Guidelines, Section XVI(C)).
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.